• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Alternator Help Pleeaassee!

johnnyboy666

hey everyone, i at last went to pick up my new 205 this afternoon (a hard top roland garros : ) and as i was driving home down the m6 the alternator and battery decided to die and i was left with no lights in the fast lane in the pitch black so as i nearly fudged my calvins cutting across in front of a truck and a bus to get onto the hard shoulder i passed a 'free recovery ends here' sign, typical. and of course im not a member of the rac or aa so my mother had to tow me to the nearest junction (bout 100miles from my house) and leave the car in a pub car park

any way i need to know why the battery is draining as apparently it had a new alternator three weeks ago aswell as a new battery which means

a)the new alternator is knackered aswell

b)the alternator wasnt the problem in the first place

c)there could be a bare wire or short circuit somewhere draining the battery

somebody help please!!

any help would be greatly appreciated

Jrod

Check the connection at the alternator.

Mine wasn't charging and it was becuase of a dirty / bad connection there.

trogboy

A quick check with a multimeter across the terminals of the battery once the engine has been started (jumped or new battery) will quickly tell you if the battery is recieving charge from the alternator. Similarly you can check the output of the alternator. This should get you a long way towards solving the problem.

johnnyboy666

well i went back this mornin and it started fine so the battery seems all good. we got my mates aa card and got the bloke to come out hoping for him to truck it home for us but he came in a van and checked it all out with a multimeter and it was chrging fine. i decided to take the scenic route rather than the motorway this time, but about 20 miles from home the same thing started to happen but i managed to keep it going, only just (misfiring below 2k and above 3k) involved a lot of left foot braking, hand braking, granny shifting and choke usage but i managed to make it to about 3 feet away from my house thank buggery, i did piss off plenty of people on the way tho with no indicators or brake lights!

im pretty sure its just an intermitant fault with the alternator now as it was replaced with a second hand one, so i think best bet is to get a brand new one and get that stuck in

Sign in to follow this