• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Fuel Pump

ALEX

My Fuel pump went at the weekend.

My second-hand replacement pump is the earlier design, (the black one, more common)

I had to chop off the plug form my wiring loom on the car as mine has the newer white pump connector.

I cut off the plug from the new pump and was going to use spade connectors to connect it up.

That was until the wires from the pump snapped off and were too short for me connect anything to it.

It looked like the previous owner had fitted an immobiliser causing them to snap.

I dug out the plastic like gel in the recess and found two spade connectors, which I replaced.

The pump is now wired in and works fine, but I'm wondering if I should fill the recess in the pump where the connectors plug in.

Without buying anything I have in the garage

Builders mastic (grey).

Window Sealant (brown).

Kitchen Silicone (white).

Will any of these be OK?

hengti

replaced my fuel pump a couple of weeks ago and noticed that a previous owner must have fiddled with it as the leads had been cut and scotchlok'd for a couple of ordinary crimp on connectors. there was no resin block in there.

there was some sort of cream coloured sealant on the terminals though. no idea what it was but it hasn't caused a problem in the 7 years it took me to break the fuel pump :)

i just put some vaseline on the terminals

maybe something like waxoyl would be a good idea though - ?

anyone know what this cream coloured stuff is? seems to do the job

pugrallye

standard silcone or RTV sealer is fine for filling in gaps in terminals etc and its always a good idea to prevent probs down the line

ALEX

I think the sealant is to fill any gaps where the male end of the spade connectors poke through the pump casing.

Probably just a precautionary thing to keep fumes away from the connectors.

I'll use the mastic, I think it i'll be O.K.

Sign in to follow this