• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Question About Roll Cages And Harnesses?

Spiky

ok,

i bought this

a2_1.jpg

and i'm going to alter the back to this

Dscf0167.jpg

will it be ok mounting my harnesses on the horizontal bars????

what sort of height should i have the horizontal bars???

Discostu

They are harness bars fella so yeh that will be fine. U can have them at any hieght i guess, but they should really be below the level that the harnesses pass through the seat (so below the level of the harness eye holes)

Mak esure u weld them in strong, i dont want to die wen u take me out :blink:

Rob Thomson

They should definitely be lower than the holes in the seats. Beyond that it probably doesn't matter too much, but if you go too low you won't be able to get both harness straps on the bar... I'd copy the set-up in the pic if I were you.

jonnie205

is that an SD cage? you will need to use the correct 38mm cds tube and it can be quite tricky to profile the the tube to make it fit nice but spend some time on it and it will be nice, good choice in fitting harness bars, its the way forward

Rippthrough

1 1/2" CDS, find a local machine shop with the corresponding milling bit to put the profile on for you in seconds for beer money.

smckeown

make sure there's enough width on the bar to accomodate your harness. Going too low will mean the bar is short; even worse the thiker your harness straps are.

mine look higher than the bars in the pic above

harnesses.jpg

Edited by smckeown

205wrc

According to the MSA "Blue Book" the typical safety belt installation is preferrably between +10 degrees and -10 degrees form horizontal (i.e. straight through the holes in the rear of the seat) but anything up to 45 degrees from horizontal is acceptable

Spiky
According to the MSA "Blue Book" the typical safety belt installation is preferrably between +10 degrees and -10 degrees form horizontal (i.e. straight through the holes in the rear of the seat) but anything up to 45 degrees from horizontal is acceptable

excellent, thank you for the information

i spoke to the guy thats doing the welding, and he wreckons there are no probs where ever i want them :);)

Rik

Sean, in your pic it looks as if the harness is just attached to the bar and not through an eye bolt.

Is this correct?

Rik

smckeown
Sean, in your pic it looks as if the harness is just attached to the bar and not through an eye bolt.

Is this correct?

Rik

yes absolutely. For the shoulder straps you always have those 2 options (if your cage has such bars)

phatgti

You can buy hole cutting tools and a vice type jig that allows you to put the tube in the vice and the hole cutter (44mm ish) in the jig and attach a drill to the other end - this allows you to perfectly profile your bars without the need for a nasty angle grinder.

Rik

dont know where i could buy this do you?

Rik

Sign in to follow this