• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
5150maxie

Castrol Rs

5150maxie

whats your views on using castrol rs 0/40w as thats what theyve got at my local motor factors?

Guest rich1977

i used this stuff once on my rover 620 turbo during the summer and the 0w/40 is to thin imho I changed after around 1k miles as oil temp went through the roof after only a small amount of full boost driving, and turbo got very noisy (I swapped turbo for a t28 not long after so cant say if bearings where damaged or not) id personaly aim for 10/40 if they can get it or even 10/50 as the 0 grade is way to thin imho

V8Pete

10W40 shouldn't be any different to 0W40 once the car's up to operating temperature.

brianthemagical

when the oil can be considered to act like a 0 weight oil it will be thicker than the when it acts as 40 weight. only way to compare is with a graph of viscosity against temp of that particular oil.

Guest rich1977

all I can say is on boost the oil temp/water temp would raise massively compared to 10/40 which on a rover is bad as the standard pistons are as good as choclate at the best of times so I wasnt willing to risk continued use of it.

jonnie205

dont put that in a 205, a mate did and his car seized within 20 miles, its too thin. Just use std semi sythetic 10w 40.

cybernck

yeah that's too thin! get 10W60 version if you want Castrol RS.

that's what i use in my cars and it's great for oil temp and pressure.

5150maxie

cheers lads, ive got 10/40w castrol.i thought it would be to thin and its expensive just needed some advice thank you :blink:

Edited by 5150maxie

Rippthrough

It's not too thin at all, what are you lot smoking?!

oilman

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^

0w-40 is not too thin, when at 100degc it is the same visocsity as a 10w-40. The only difference other then quality is the cold crank viscosity as the 0w is more fluid on start up then a 10w, circulating faster protecting quicker.

All this "0w-40 is too thin" is just wrong. The oil is many times thicker when cold then when hot, so if it is ever going to be too thin then it will be when hot, not when cold ie, SAE20 or SAE30.

The Castrol RS is now obsolete so if you find any its old stock. Its now called the Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40.

Cheers

Guy.

Sign in to follow this