• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

1.4 Xs Engine F Reg

djinuk

1.4 xs engine. any info on this engine, i know nothing about peugeot engines as only ever used fords , can you pull much extra out of these and if so how.. advice n comments more than welcome .. cheers dj

macaroni

They're rubbish, don't bother.

Only joking, cracking little engine; light, powerful, easy to work on, will rev to 7000+rpm all day long and quite easily tuneable.

85bhp as standard, 100bhp easily achievable with bigger induction/cam/manifold and up to 140 with lots of money spent on throttle bodies, rally cam etc.

Plenty of info in this TU section of the forum, so have a search and if you need any more info, just ask!!

axnutty

Ive one sat in the garage next to me developing 173BHP and revs to 10K. Not bad for a 1360cc 8valve TU :)

djinuk

ah wicked im glad to hear that. the main thing im looking at the min is carb wise .. whats my best option and also air filter wise.. any1 point me in the correct direction.. ive had the problem when turning corners but ive changed the ht leads n plugs n tht seems to mostly be solved now. i also have a cambelt tensioner thts squeeaking when cold so im havin cam belt changed and that sorted at the same time.. how do u get such huge bhp figures from this block ?

macaroni

You don't get huge bhp figures from the block, you get them from the head!

I have replaced the standard Solex carb on mine with a Weber 38DGAS, which is great but has low speed driveability problems. Best bet is to get a pair of Weber 40 DCOEs and an appropriate manifold, say £300 all in.

A good Catcam, say 4901133 (~£200)and a 4 branch manifold (~£190), see me for details.

This lot should see a good 100bhp.

If your budget is bigger, you can get good gains from headwork and bigger valves, ~ £600, giving about 120bhp.

With much larger pockets, race spec cam, throttle bodies and good engine management should give over 140bhp.

God knows what the 173bhp engine mentioned above had done to it!

axnutty

Haha...quite a lot to get 173BHP.

Ive a 140BHP TU as well and thats running high comp pistons, hugely modified head, 310 race cam, exhaust manifold, Tony Law exhaust, etc.

Ive found in the past if on a budget, nothing more than a ported head (std valve size), cam and exhaust mani have been the best bet. You can always port the standard Solex Z2 to good effect. Infact Id be tempted to leave that carb on unless you intend to go some distance with the engine tune.

Edited by axnutty

stu_woac
Ive one sat in the garage next to me developing 173BHP and revs to 10K. Not bad for a 1360cc 8valve TU :)

its got to be more like a bike engine now LOL

djinuk

well ok if i was to start with a decent manifold can u point me in the correct direction.. will sort out the bolt on parts I.E manifold etc 1st , and then look at cams etc, will give the carb a clean this weekend 2 n a look over.. cheers for your help dj

macaroni

Some people modify Janspeed Cit ax manifolds to fit, but that is quite expensive and not ideal.

I organise a group buy of CSC manifolds from Italy which are specifically for the xs and people are very pleased with them. Check out the "Group Buy" section of the forum.

The best cams are Catcams and are supplied by www.qep.uk.com, they are very good for headwork too.

christopher
Haha...quite a lot to get 173BHP.

:D Whats the spec on that then?

Edited by christopher

stu_woac

dont thing so its hard to get but not impossible, the busa 1.3 lump pushes 170bhp standard and doesnt need nos

axnutty

NOS! :D Thats just plain cheating

Its N/A and is fully legit for hillclimb/sprinting Road Going Modified.

I cant give away the full spec but lets just say its still 1360cc ;)

Edited by axnutty

djinuk

i find the car dosent seem to like going slow for long period of times.. i.e traffic, the idel gets lumpy and wen u do need to shift it seems to hesitate..

its a no slow car :D

stu_woac

this is could be heat soak on the carb you may be running a bit lean making the carb hotter than normal, or the heater has jamed on if its still connected, as in this weather that shouldnt happen but in the summer you wil just live with it

or your needle vavle or float has packed up overfueling on idle which sounds more likely in this weather

Edited by stu_woac

Rippthrough

Mine used to do that really badly unil I put PTFE gaskets on it - don't get it at all now.

macaroni

Any chance of getting hold of some PTFE gaskets for the TU engine?

Jrod

I've got one!

It's for my soon to be 1600 head. :)

macaroni

From where did you get it and can I have one?

Rippthrough

I'm still doing them by order, price depends on how thick you want it, 6mm is £30 delivered - I only have a TU3S pattern here though.

Edited by Rippthrough

stu_woac

I'm also doing ones for myself on a xs head but much bigger ports than standard so making my own template for this

macaroni

I want a TU3S one. When I get my 205 back on the road I'll order a set.

Cheers.

djinuk

what gaskets are these ? as in which parts of the engine do they seal. also how do i know if my engine is a tu3s ?, cheers

Jrod

TU3S is the XS engine unless it's vey old and then they had an XY8 engine

They go between the inlet manifold and head.

Sign in to follow this