• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Dta Cranking Oscilloscope

smckeown

Great feature this :) But the instructions indicate it's only for cranking over purposes/speed. One of my concerns is that my crank sensor might not be consistently accurate at high revs. I was hoping you could spin the engine at high revs and use this feature to see of the signals are still accurately spaced.

Is there a reason why this can't be used as such ? Or is there another way of determining if a crank sensor is accurate under all conditions ?

M3Evo

Out of interest, who come you think the sensor might not be accurate at high speeds? :)

Super Josh

Just borrow a 'real' oscilloscope and put that on the output of your CAS, and you'll soon know what's happening. After all, you wouldn't use a 'Software' DVM to measure your battery voltage.

Josh

veloce200
Just borrow a 'real' oscilloscope and put that on the output of your CAS, and you'll soon know what's happening. After all, you wouldn't use a 'Software' DVM to measure your battery voltage.

Josh

thread hijack alert ! anyone got an old ocilloscope they don't want? (Sean you can rent it off me ! :lol: )

sonofsam

I have one your both welcome to borrow, for a small fee :lol:

Rippthrough

Why would it not being reading right, should be good 12k rpm or so at least. :D

rescue dude

Why not phone Dta up and ask them? You will find Alan Warburton( the boss man) very helpful.

It's only a small company so he will most likely answer the phone himself.

jimbean

isn`t a crank sensor just an inductive loop.. all it does is make a ac voltage

the only things to check are gap between wheel and sensor and wiring

have you used a shielded sensor wire for the speed sensor?

check resistance of sensor.. then wires to ecu.. if 1 or all are out of tollerence.. good.. can be changed

the reason u check it at crank is the reading is quite slow and readable the faster you go the closer the dips will be and difficilt to read

the theory is ... if its good at crank it`s good right through

the only way it can alter if something is loose or vibrating

Edited by jimbean

pugrallye

Crank sensor is either Hall or inductive, hall produces a square wave (not found on 205's though) inductive produces sine wave signal both need scoping. It is quite possible if you have bad sheilding on the cable that the signal will become noisy at high RPM

Sign in to follow this