• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

I Think This Is My Gearbox

TaffyTim

I was pulling into my drive after work and the engine was really hot as alot of stationary traffic on my drive home today. So much so the low pressure warning light was coming on when i was pulling away from stationary without any revs. As i pulled in there was a pop/bang sound from the engine. When i got out there was a pool of oil coming from the car an a nut was lying in the place where the car was when it went bang.

Upon inspection this is what ive found, and im not happy. What does this mean? Im no mechanic so as much help needed as possible including how i fix it (or who i pay to fix it) and how much will this cost me. I take it i cant drive it to work tomorrow!!!!

GearBox001.jpg

GearBox002.jpg

inferno

quality, not good when this happens... id fit a new box!:) but i dunno maybe the gearbox guys will advise on weather its repairable...

Rob_the_Sparky

Tis the diff (final drive) gone bang. (if that is any help)

welshpug

yup, thats a dead gearbox casing, or to be precise the diff casing.

it wont get far without any oil in it.

second hand gearboxes can be picked up relatively sheaply, and I've been quoted as little as £275 for a recondidioned unit exchange fitted.

fletch

Yikes ripped a hole in the gearbox?! Youre gonna need a replacement unit.

TaffyTim
yup, thats a dead gearbox casing, or to be precise the diff casing.

it wont get far without any oil in it.

second hand gearboxes can be picked up relatively sheaply, and I've been quoted as little as £275 for a recondidioned unit exchange fitted.

There is a quaife atb diff inside there, will this be knackered?

Anthony

As far as I know the usual reason for the casing doing that is because the pin comes out of the standard open-diff and smashes through the casing - I'd be a bit concerned as to why it's happened if you've got a Quaife, especially as that's not really a stressed part of the gearbox housing.... :)

Miles will probably be able to say more.

TaffyTim
As far as I know the usual reason for the casing doing that is because the pin comes out of the standard open-diff and smashes through the casing - I'd be a bit concerned as to why it's happened if you've got a Quaife, especially as that's not really a stressed part of the gearbox housing.... :)

Miles will probably be able to say more.

I spoke to miles 15 mins ago and he said the same about it usually happening to non quaife gearbox's.

How much can i pick up a 2nd hand 1.6 be3 box for?

welshpug
a nut was lying in the place where the car was when it went bang.

you need the box off and dismantled to find where this came from.

TaffyTim

The nut looks quite unique, or at least recognisable.

On the face of it you can see a few chunks have been taken out , but there are markings left saying 10, 0, F (the other 3 are chipped and unreadable)

GearBoxNut001.jpg

The breaking of the nut has been done after 1 revolution of the thread so its not possible to see how long its supposed to be

GearBoxNut002.jpg

nick

Looks like a crown wheel bolt to me.

Nick

j_turnell

Yeh looks like a crown wheel bolt to me, would it not be a case of swapping the diff and crown wheel and getting a 2nd hand diff housing...

TaffyTim

Crown wheel bolt?? what does that bolt hold in place? why would it fail?

welshpug

err, the crown wheel...

fail? wrong torque, flaw in the machining or a weakness in the metal.

jonnie205

Yep thats a crownwheel bolt, looks like a bolt has failed or the person who fitted diff didnt torque bolts up correctly. I would just remove casing and diff, fit a new set of crownwheel bolts and refit with new casing, prob about 1 hours work and box can stay in car. Whilst diff is out make sure that bolt has not daamged the mian casing

TaffyTim

ok im liking the sound of this. Miles was going to be working on the car on the weekend so looks like he's got another job :)

Doing a bit of research, looking at 'Removing the crownwheel' pic below it seems hard to think that just 1 or the bolts can fail is it likely that the other 7 have failed too?

http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

Miles

As Jonnie's said it's the crownwheel bolt and I;ve never seen one do that before but a first time for everything, Hopefully it spat the complete bolt out as you don;t want it floating around the box itself

Sign in to follow this