• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Tyre Grip

Rob_the_Sparky

I've got pretty much new Eagle F1s all round and they made a huge difference to my grip in the wet over my previous AVONs. However, in this very cold salt strewn weather I'm struggling for grip. My 205 isn't the easiest car to drive gently (due to engine mods) but I seem to be having more trouble than usual with wheel spin.

Setting off from junctions can only be done gently at the moment, a small amount of throttle and they are spinning...

Super slippery road or my tyres...?

Rob

B1LLY

super slippery road my guess

find it very greasy out there at the mo

Anthony

Not personally had any problems at the moment as the roads are dry, but damp everything gets a little slippery - I remember it being far worse than this last year though*...

(* - that might be because my current pair of vehicles consist of a diesel van that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and a 205 with a Quaife that should stop all that spinning the inside wheel out of junctions nonsense)

jim205GTI

greasy roads!! they are out by where i work ...... going round a roundabout could feel the car losing grip.....

hengti

all of my A539s need replacing at the moment (which obviously isn't helping - !) but i've also noticed that it has been quite slippery round here for about a week now

good job there's so much feedback from a 205 really - should imagine a few people have fallen off the road in less informative cars over the last week or so

ed. beaten by Jim! :)

Edited by hengti

B1LLY
Not personally had any problems at the moment as the roads are dry, but damp everything gets a little slippery - I remember it being far worse than this last year though*...

(* - that might be because my current pair of vehicles consist of a diesel van that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and a 205 with a Quaife that should stop all that spinning the inside wheel out of junctions nonsense)

iirc we had more cold weather last year and the stuff the council were using to grit the roads with was some new stuff that made the roads treacherous ,remember reading about it in my bike mags

thats why i got a car this year after 8 years of commuting all year round on the bike ,had so many slides decided it wasnt worth the risk anymore

veloce200

have you got adjustable dampers at the front? if so soften them off a bit- i had the same problem now I have loads of traction after turning them back a few clicks.

Rob_the_Sparky

Yeah well, my engine character is "no power, no power, no power, BLOODY HELL HERE COMES THE POWER" type delivery. Not not easy to control. Feel like lending me a Quaife?!

Rippthrough

If there was ever a case for quaife diffs on the road it this - lighting up the inside wheel out of junctions on a breath of throttle isn't nice at all.

Ahl

I've had the same thing last year and this year too, as soon as the council gritted all the roads. :)

Beastie
Yeah well, my engine character is "no power, no power, no power, BLOODY HELL HERE COMES THE POWER" type delivery. Not not easy to control. Feel like lending me a Quaife?!

That may well have something to do with it then. I'm running mine on BF Goodrich touring tyres (not bad grip but love the mileage - 30,000 and still going :) ) and it's a 1.6 with no other mods than 3 angle valve seats. I can pull away tractably in the wet and the ride wouldn't upset your grandmother. Come the traffic light grand prix in this weather though and I'll just sit there with a wheel spinning merrily - I can easily spin the wheels in 2nd at the moment so I dread to think how you cope with your sort of power delivery :(

Jer309GTi

Judging by the size of the black lines I've been leaving when pulling away with an empty Cabstar, I'd say very greasy roads :)

jim205GTI

Mmm bit of fun though when you do feel it twitch.......... :) ..... running toyos on the front and yokos on the back :( thats on the 306.......... should be interesting for the next few days.... according to the local paper ( evening post) bristol's due snow :D

Jer309GTi
according to the local paper ( evening post) bristol's due snow :)

Good good! Thursday it's supposed to start isn't it?

Moys1.9

I'm having to use a hyundai lantra this week in this pap weather. Try that for a less informative car when going round a roundabout. :):(:D

swordfish210

i had a pretty scary moment a few weeks ago when i was going round a roundabout at a relativly low speed (bout 25mph i think) and suddenly the front end went all light which was promptly followed by the back end coming right around on me :D . so there i was facing the wrong way on a roundabout when a guy came around in his ford foucus and his face was an absolute picture after he saw me just parked facing the wrong way, i couldnt stop laughing :( . So i swung the car around and pulled off the road to check the suspension and wheels but after finding nothing wrong with them i wondered back to the roundabout and the spot where i spun absolutely stunk of diesel so i think i found the culprit for my spin :) . Anyway to awnser your original question yes i do think the roads are particularly slippy lately

Miles

Same downhere. roads are nice and sliperly even in my barge I get a bit of spin when acc hard with the trailer on the back, thankfully the Falkens grib very well indeed..

Seen a couple of crashes because of this too

acox99

Yep roads are very slippery, i have a job in my 306 hdi to pull of and give it anything without spinning the wheels, it ok until the turbo kicks in ( about 2000rpm) then i just sit there, same with second, so trying to pull out fast on someone becomes interesting!

cossie350

Yep defo the roads came off a roundabout tonight on the limiter in 3rd doing around about a whopping 15mph single wheeling like a good un :)

jim205GTI
Good good! Thursday it's supposed to start isn't it?

Yep tonight so hopefully i'll have some fun on some fresh snow when i leave for work at 530 in the morning ;):lol:

Wildebeest

I think a lot of the problems I've been having lately with roundabouts have been diesel induced.

That said, is there a better tyre than a P6000? I need to replace and axle of mine soon as one of mine has been nailed. :lol:

Edited by Wildebeest

boombang
That said, is there a better tyre than a P6000?

Virtually anything...

Big fan of the BF Goodrich G Profilers myself (although the old Profiler Gs were better)

jackherer
That said, is there a better tyre than a P6000?

Yes, plenty. Goodyear Eagle F1s are my recommendation...

mickie

cool, i thought it was just me losing grip

Sign in to follow this