• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rik

Fitting Seat Rails

Rik

Hi guys

In my quest for a rock solid car, Ill be fitting seat rails, now its something I want to do myself now Ive become a fairly competent welder!

Only problem is there seems to be a major risk involved With the fact that I do not know where to put them! I have the seat and seat mounts I will be sitting in but Im under the impression that once the seat rails are in the seat can not be moved forward or backward or can it?

Can anyone who has fitted seat rails in the past, please give me a little guidance/tips on what to do to ensure I get them in the correct position..

Cheers

Rik

bren_1.3

driving position differs greatly i find. some people like to literally sit on the floor arms out-stretched which is wrong.

others like me, like to be able to see the front side wings, so the standard position in terms of height is perfect for me. welding in a strengthening bar to the original front rail is more than adequate for me. pro rally- race drivers are able place a car without being able to see the front wings to position the wheel through a corner. hence why they tend to be lower in the car.

i will say that the closer you can get to the wheel the better, wether you choose to modify the steering column and use a wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to you, or move the seat rails forward is up to you.

with regards to your passenger, if your having one, mount them as far back and low into the car as possible.

you might find that just tack welding in bars in different arrangements will be your best bet to find that ultimate driving position.

Rik

good call - tack welding is probably best

i've already removed the original seat rails, this weekend just gone...

Will try put passenger seat as far back as possible - but my battery is going there so it will be tight!

smckeown

i'm a short ass and wish my rails were lower. I'd puut them on the low side, as it's easier to adjust the seats upwards using the side rails

Rik

Can you move yuor seat forward/backward sean?

Rik

smckeown

It's fixed, but yes sure car. I have played with position a lot, even have tilted the seat etc.

WildCards

My rails are almost on the floor, about as low as you could get them I think.

The guy that did it didn't think it through because the steering wheel is now slightly offset to the left. Having said that, I didn't notice it at all while at Cadwell on Saturday. I can't see the wings, but didn't find it a hinderance personally.

pug_ham

Rik, see if this link is any good. Steve used to be a member on here but has sold the car off a few years ago iirc.

Graham.

cossie350

Wildcards i dont think its the blokes fault who fitted your seats that the steering wheel is to the left slightly, its Peugeot :) . Next time you take the seat out, open the boot, stand at the back of the car and eye it up you will see what i mean. Just put some rails in mine i will take some pics they are base mounts though.

Rik

Thats a great link thanks Graham,

cossie350 - some pics would be great thanks...

Rik

Sign in to follow this