• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Mi16 Oil Cooling

huzzer

Refering to the post a couple down from this about oil cooling, if you have water heat exchange on an MI, can the hoses just be blanked off so you have neither air or water cooling in use. I have the finned sump but will be using the car just for track days ie: HOT.

If this was the case could I then change the thermo housing for the 8v with just the rad top hose attached?

Edd-XS

yea, just remove the whole union thing and put the oil filter directly onto the block, and change the 16v thermostat cap for the 8v one :lol: one less thing to worry about then!

Edd

huzzer

Cheers Edd.

So there would be no problems with the oil getting too hot then?

Your wiring diagrams have been very helpful, I havnt got it in yet but have started to get my head round it. There is still a huge difference in where the wires are situated between a ph1 and 1.5!

How is yours coming along?

Edd-XS

Well having not actually run it up myself yet I couldnt say personally wether it'll get too hot or not, although ive heard the finned sump does make a fair bit of difference (mine is finned also).

Its coming along ok, not much left to do now apart from sort out the fuel rail and neaten the wiring up! Dont really know what to do about starting it up though as ideally ill get him fired up then take it for a run to bed the rings in, but having no MOT or TAX means I cant really do that (legally) so I dont really know what to do! :lol:

Glad the pics were of some help!

Edd

VisaGTi16v

Surely if you are going to be doing tons of thrashing on a track, you want extra oil cooling not less?! You can get your oil temp up quite high with just a minutes worth of flat out on the road, imagine what it would be like after 20 minutes constant high revs/load on a track. Would have thought one of the gti after market coolers that goes where the 2nd fan is would be best option? If they are not already, you could put a thermostat in line so they only operate when oil is warmed up sufficiently

Normski

You will defiantly need some sort of oil cooler if the car is used on trackdays.

On my trackcar I took off the water-oil cooler and replaced it with a Mocal air-oil cooler, so the extra heat from the oil wasn't put into the engine coolant system. All the temperatures are stable now on track.

huzzer

Thanks for the info.

Normski, what sort of money are the Mocal air/oil cooler and do you have a link for one? I agree that using the water to cool the oil is not a good idea. Does the kit come with a new union or do I need to keep hold of the MI unit?

huzzer

Is it possible or has anyone ever converted the water jacket of the oil cooler to circulate oil? ie; drilling through it so oil can pass through to a matrix? Would there be any problems with circulation. I don't know much about this subject but thought I'd check whether it can be done rather than spending £40ish.

Ahl
Is it possible or has anyone ever converted the water jacket of the oil cooler to circulate oil? ie; drilling through it so oil can pass through to a matrix? Would there be any problems with circulation. I don't know much about this subject but thought I'd check whether it can be done rather than spending £40ish.

It'd be much easier just to fit the takeoff from a 1.9 air-oil cooler.

huzzer

On a 1.9 is the oil circulated up to the matrix in front of the rad? Is everything I need in a 1.9?

Ahl

Yes, you could just plug in the whole lot. :)

The Mocal will be even better of course.

huzzer

Thanks Ahl. Done some reading up on it and the mocal 13 or bigger does seem to be the way to go. Cheers guys.

Normski
Thanks for the info.

Normski, what sort of money are the Mocal air/oil cooler and do you have a link for one? I agree that using the water to cool the oil is not a good idea. Does the kit come with a new union or do I need to keep hold of the MI unit?

The Mocal kit has every thing you need for the oil system, the standard filter is still used. I got a 13 row 235mm kit with steel braided hoses, 4 years ago it was £125 for rally design. It's a good investment because it's important to keep oil temps down on track. The added bonus is the extra heat isn't added to the water system meaning even in the summer my water temp never rises when on track (standard new radiator).

The only other thing you need to do is either block off the now redundant coolant pipes or the better way is to use a 1.9 GTi bottom hose assembly and thermostat cover.(I also use a lower temp thermostat, 82 degrees, from a 1.9 GTi).

Sign in to follow this