• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

How Can You Check If A Steering Rack Is Any Good?

GLPoomobile

Picked up a subframe off Anthony at the weekend and he has generously left the rack, rods and drop links on it (cheers Anthony!).

So is there ways to check the rack and see if it is any good? I was going to get a new rack but if this one is good and uses the same spline drive thingymebob then I'm quids in!

welshpug

if theres any play in it then its naff, if its a bit stiff you can try and lube it up but make sure the gaiters are in good nick.

Guest R3GG

You could actually see a slight bend in one of the rods on the one i recently removed - it was naffed!

GLPoomobile

Gaiters and track rods can be replaced though. How do I actually check that the rack is good?

Presumably, apllying some lateral force to the rods and checking movement is smooth and not stiff and not to too loose? What about checking that the rack is not bent?

Anthony

Grab the passenger side trackrod and see if there's any play between it and the rack - that's where steering racks usually fail first in my experience

As far as I'm aware the rack was good on that subframe, but check it anyway.

Alastairh

Check the track rod ends undo (they will obviously be stiff) but i've seen on a few occasions where there siezed in after heat etc, so when you go to get your tracking done your screwed!

Alastair

taylorspug

Ive had a seized track rod end before, obviously hadnt been greased up before it was fitted. Could i get the bugger out?! Ended up snapping it, even after heating it etc, so new track rod needed.

Sign in to follow this