• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHunt79

Base Model Rear Beam Refurb

MikeHunt79

My 205 XRDT is most likely on the original rear beam, as I have not had it from new, but now it is coming up to 90k miles, I thought it would be a good idea to refurb my rear beam... I've had a gander at the guide on this site (nice job wurzel), and a few threads, and I've got a few questions tho:

1) I know my XRDT shares many of the front suspension parts as the GTI, but I'm guessing I've got a base model rear beam. Is this right?

2) What are the differences between the GTI and base beam? Wider track?

3) Will I need any different parts, or will one of the GTI refurb kits do the job?

4) Now the car is 15 years old, and almost at 90k, what are my chances of having a good beam and arms? The first 50k was done by some old bloke who probably never took it above 30, but since then, it's seen a bit more action! :blink:

welshpug

the innards are the same, IIRC the diesels just run slightly smaller diameter bars and thats it.

Also due to the softer t/b's itll have moved more and be less suceptible to pitting and seizing but may still show signs of wear.

axnutty

As already said all parts required will be the same. :blink: and its more likely to be in good condition. Refurb costs hang heavily on the condition of the shafts as they are £60 each. Its anyones guess what they will be like and unfortunatly only way to find out is take it to bits. Ive dismantled about 10 beams this month it seems and they can vary wildly. The 1.9 GTi beam I took to bits they were great condition. The 1.6GTi one was destroyed along with the beam tube itself so theres no way of guessing :)

MikeHunt79

Nice, I'll go ahead and get the refurb kit and some poly mounts, and hopefully that will be all I need.

boldy205

make sure its genuine pug bearings+seals, its a false economy getting anything else me thinks. i will PM you this evening mind

stutto
make sure its genuine pug bearings+seals, its a false economy getting anything else me thinks. i will PM you this evening mind

Does anyone know what (brand) parts are in the AB motorsport kit on ebay? Following directly on, is it good value?

welshpug

no, its cheaper to buy direct from peugeot, ask for them on a "stock order" this will take 3 working days rather than next day but will enable the dealer to give you 10% on the parts rather than only 5% (thats for PSOOC though, dont know about 205gtidrivers)

Sign in to follow this