• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtiracer

106 Gti Turbo On Standard Internals

Gtiracer

On another forum i go on, there is a guy who has made himself a 106 Gti turbo with the DP engineering kit , but hence the title of the thread he has left the internals standard, can't remember what he said he had done about the compression ratio.

But basically his thinking was if he kept the internals standard and the boost low and then get it mapped until it starts pinking then that would be his boost level that he left it at.

Is this possible, and if it is, is it feasible on an Mi or is it only possible on that because its a newer engine, although saying that his turbo blew up not long ago

Edited by Gtiracer

welshpug

if you have good enough control of the fuelling and ignition theres no reason to drop the compression ratio, but I dont know how strong the internals are...

the new PSA/BMW 1.6 Turbo runs at 10-1, the VW FSI-T runs at 11-1 and hits 260bhp in the S3.

axnutty

Yes you can run a turbo on the VTs/106GTi engines with standard internals no problems... Dont know about that mapping method though?

My mates got a 12.8sec 1/4 VTs Turbo with standard internals. I think hes using a MF2 and Sigcon for mapping. Im not up on it but could find out more if you wanted.

Rally Slag
although saying that his turbo blew up not long ago

the reason it blew up was because it wasnt mapped properly so he jammed the wastegate open to stop it boosting up and because of that the turbo over revved it self. Something like that anyway, not very good at explaining things, i'll send this link to colin and he can come on here and explain himself lol

but yes it is possible to do what he is doing

Rally Slag

taken from an msn convo a few mins ago:

Colin says:

jus say u spoke to me, u can run 7psi on a completely standard lump providing it is intercooled and running a well set-up map. 12psi is possible if compression is dropped to 9.0:1 on standard internals.

Colin says:

also say the TU is a s*it load better than the XU, that shud kick the 205 boys off lol

Colin says:

turbo going wrong was thrust bearing failure and also had burnt oil carbin deposits caused by poor crankcase ventilation, a simple breather system will be more than substantial

and before anyone starts going of at me, thats his own words and opinions on the TU lump not mine, i own a 309 and 205 1.9 XU 8 valve cars but also had a 1.4 ax gt which is a TU 8 valve and i did find that the TU engine could take alot more abuse than the XU (used to rev to 7200rpm on standard valve springs and internals) but i would never stick a TU in a 205 or 309 just dont belong there

Edited by Rally Slag

pdd144c

As long as the fueling and ignition are mapped correctly there is no reason why you can't charge a standard engine. I've had a couple of 1.9 xu's with turbos now and they were all fine. Couldn't run much more than 12psi though.

Gtiracer

so in theory then to answer my question, its possible to buy the DP engineering turbo kit plus re mappable ignition and bits like intercooler and mountings without rebuilding the engine?

Im guessing the best way to adjust compression ratio is Forged pistons, or is there a cheaper method but just as good?

Rally Slag - do you know if Colins running standard CR?

Rally Slag

yeah he is running standard CR and standard head gasket aswell, rebuilt the engine last summer though wiv all new gaskets. He isnt actualt using the hole DP enginering kit, only the manifold as he had a T2 turbo under his bed that he bought for his old hillman imp but never done the project, the downpipe and the flanges were custom made by him and nitrous solutions in wickford, he made the braided oil feed and return pipes himeself, and all the air intakes and samco hoses were custom orders and for management he is only the ECU not a full management system, think he is using an emerald m3d ECU either that or a KMS ECU cant remember but if you wana no i'll ask him

Gtiracer

wow, did not know it was possible to retain the standard CR, is this possible and advisable on an Mi does anyone know?

Edited by Gtiracer

axnutty

Running a lower CR will allow a greater boost pressure to be safely run..so keeping to standard CR will not allow for much.

You could just leave the standard ECU and run a MF2 and sigcon the TU series...infact if you just drive foot to the floor all the time you could ditch the sigcon as well...

stu_woac

yes you can run the mi on a standard intrenals and cr and see a good figure too,

M3Evo

The turbo you use will effect the CR you can get away with too.

A blower with a tiny turbine housing will not allow you much leeway, but will boost low down. A turbo with a large turbine housing will boost later on but generate less backpressure so you can get away with more boost for a given CR.

pugrallye
the new PSA/BMW 1.6 Turbo runs at 10-1, the VW FSI-T runs at 11-1 and hits 260bhp in the S3

Only the 2.0T found in the GTI (200ps) runs at 11.1, but it only runs on about 6 PSI of boost as the turbo is v.v. tiny. (All VAG did was take a strat 2.0 engine and bolt turbo on)

The S3 has forged pistons lowered CR and H section rods and toughened crank which is how they reliably get that figure of 260, so basically was designed to be forced inducted

welshpug

I agree with your point, but it shows that a turbo doesnt necessarily mean low comp, and the VAG engines are wonderful to drive due to their excellent drivability off boost.

Just think how much power that 2.0 T has off boost with a comp ratio of 11-1! more than an Mi I bet :)

Malachy

a lot of people are forgetting these new engines (the vag and Prince engine) are running Sequential Direct injection, this allows more control over fueling allowing you to run these higher comp ratios under boost reliably.

And as already said the problem you will have is preventing detonation you do this by keeping intake temps down, having correct spark maps with retarded ignition on boost and correct fueling to keep the combustion temp town, Direct injection was the milestone in this allowing great fuel control as the injector is spraying straight into the combustion chamber thus allowing VERY accurate fueling.

Edited by Malachy

Sign in to follow this