• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest WillN

1.6 Turbo Engine

Guest WillN

I was planning on rebuilding my MI16 engine for my 205, but the cost and fact that parts (i.e. pistons and liners) are now becoming hard to find have made me think about other engine options.

My favourite at the moment is the 180bhp 1.6 turbo unit currently is the Cooper S and shortly to be fitted to the 207 GTI.

My question is, are the engine mounts the same as the XU engine? And does anyone know if this would be a difficult conversion? Is the 1.6 supercharged engine in the old Cooper S also an option - without welding etc?

Many thanks in advance

welshpug

it is quite different to the older Supercharged engine, the new "Prince" engine is very close to the TU.

this engine doesnt get used in a shell that also takes an XU though, as they have been replaced by the EW and DW, but the TU is still used as far as I know, so the layout of the mounts will be similar and fabricating or adapting some brackets wont be too difficult.

thing is though that Mi16 parts aren't that hard to get hold of are they???

They'd be a damn sight cheaper than an engine out of a car thats only just been released and hasn't even been given a year to see what potential weaknesses it has.

Guest WillN

True. But if I could pick one up for, say £800-1000 it wouldn't be much more than rebuilding an mi. Would prob be more reliable and better MPG as well.

Not sure about weight, but am guessing maybe even slightly lighter??

pdd144c

We can supply Mi16 bits. PM me with details of what you require.

Paul.

GLPoomobile
True. But if I could pick one up for, say £800-1000 it wouldn't be much more than rebuilding an mi. Would prob be more reliable and better MPG as well.

Not sure about weight, but am guessing maybe even slightly lighter??

IF being the operative word I think!!

And then you need to add on the cost of fabricating parts and the hassle of getting it all to work. Some people still have problems along the way with Mi16 conversions and look at how long they have been around now. You would be diving in to the unknown :lol:

Do it for the sake of being original. But if you are looking for a cheap alternative to an Mi16 rebuild then it makes no sense at all :)

Edited by GLPoomobile

Miles

Sounds like allot of work not forgetting the wiring and ECU side of thing's, unless you go for a aftermarket ECU and Loom it still might be a nightmare if they run a variable cam timing on them

New liner's, Pistons etc can all be bought from QEP (Forum sponser) at good prices and I think off the shelf and handy for you just down the road, ish.

Mattsav

Dont even think about using that engine!

It runs high pressure direct injection, variable cam timing and is throttleless which means you need the original ECU to run it.

I expect the car runs a Canbus system so it will be pretty much impossible to just swap the engine loom over to a new car.

How about an VAG 1.8T/Vauxhall LET

New Mi16 parts are on the shelf and I still have 2 brand new Mi16 engines as well.

johnrobertgordon
Dont even think about using that engine!

It runs high pressure direct injection, variable cam timing and is throttleless which means you need the original ECU to run it.

I expect the car runs a Canbus system so it will be pretty much impossible to just swap the engine loom over to a new car.

How about an VAG 1.8T/Vauxhall LET

New Mi16 parts are on the shelf and I still have 2 brand new Mi16 engines as well.

Couple all that with the new multiplex wiring systems and you have one hell of a nightmare.

Guest WillN

Points taken.

I would use the Prince ECU and wiring even if it was possible without. Wouldn't fit the Mi16 with the 8v wiring so that's not a big downside, although I realise the wiring would be more tricky with the Prince.

Like the fact the Prince engine would use the same mounts - the VAG and Vauxhall engines wouldn't I'm guessing. And wouldn't be Peugeot.

Does anyone know which gearboxes would fit the Prince? Would think about using the 6-speed in the Cooper S but don't want to lose any lock (don't know if I would). As the block is basically TU, maybe one out of a C2 VTS. Would have to check ratios of course.

I know it's not the most practical of solutions, but I've driven the Cooper S and 207 GTI and it's a cracking engine (the Mi16 is as well, of course).

The VW lot are fitting R32s to the Corrado etc now - despite the difficulties - so think it might be worth more of a look into.

How much are a set of your Mi16 liners by the way mattsav and pdd144c?

Thanks again

Sign in to follow this