• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
V8Pete

Dodgy Brake Pedal Feel

V8Pete

Ever since I got my 205 GTI 1.9, going for the brake pedal has been a bit of a lottery.

The height of the pedal before it grabs and level of vacuum assistance varies almost with each application. I bled the brakes and changed the servo vacuum hose, but it didn't make a difference. I can't find any leaks at the pipes, hoses, or calipers, but there seems to be some fluid splashed on the servo and the reservoir leaks a bit where it joins to the master cylinder. I haven't noticed the fluid level dropping though.

Any ideas?

And what kind of master cylinder is this? It has 'BXE 20' on the hard to see side.

48xy9lz.jpg

2ngeypt.jpg

V8Pete

Just remembered to add, I also get a brief, faint, shrieky whistle sometimes when I drive off briskly straight after the clutch is engaged in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Does that sound like a vacuum leak?

jackherer

If the rubber seals where the reservoir fits onto the master cylinder are leaking then air will be getting in making any bleeding you do futile.

futura

And I happen to have a set of less than a year pair of MC rubber seals. £2 posted if you want them.

V8Pete
If the rubber seals where the reservoir fits onto the master cylinder are leaking then air will be getting in making any bleeding you do futile.

Oh, I didn't realise that. Would that explain the variation in servo assistance though?

Would it be worth swapping the servo with one out of my parts car as well as changing those seals?

If I was to go the whole hog and get a new master cylinder, are the Bendix(?) and ATE Teves cylinders interchangable? Is there one that's more suited to a 306/307 front caliper upgrade later on?

Edited by V8Pete

V8Pete

I've decided to do a GTI-6/307/GTI 180 brake upgrade with 406 master cylinder.

Can someone confirm, do I need 4601 G1 and any 306 reservoir?

Sign in to follow this