• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Airbox

mos

hi,

the biggest problem i am facing with my new s16 and throttle bodies set up is under bonnet temps, this car is road going everyday transport

if i get stuck in rush hour traffic my under bonnet air temps can soar to near 80c!!!

on my other car running twin carbs i have always manged to limit this by lowering the rad on brackets but thats an 8 valve and this approach is not possible on my s16 engine as the power steering pump etc is in the way. td rad wont fit either with out hitting the pipe work getting in the way and i really dont want to cut the lower front bracing panel to move the rad down like that.

i am left with two options, fit the radtec rad that robsbc and dazc have but i am not entirely sure if this will clear the pump either as its a thicker rad and if all the extra thickness projects towards the engine its bacially the same senario as the td rad. plus radtec have quoted me near £500 so i am considering other options first

airboxes spring to mind

i pretty sure this would also reduce inlet temps if i run a cold air feed from say under the front bumper straight to the airbox

i dont mind trimming the slam panel to make one fit a little but what can i get and where from

i am running 60mm trumpets at the moment so is there a box i can buy that will accomodate these.

if not how detrimetal would 45mm trumpets be to my torque/bhp curves, in fact would running an airbox itself with my existing 60mm trumpets affect my performance

any ideas/comments/advice on this folks i am not too well up on airboxes etc

thanks

mark

mos

Hi,

surely some people are running airboxes

or at least can give me a bit of advice on the subject

i know pipercross do some, anyone tried any of theres

thanks

mark

bren_1.3
the biggest problem i am facing with my new s16 and throttle bodies set up is under bonnet temps, this car is road going everyday transport

if i get stuck in rush hour traffic my under bonnet air temps can soar to near 80c!!!

if your struggling in traffic then what about fitting a second rad fan from a diesel motor on a manual switch?

EDIT: also, how about raising the rear of the bonnet and removing the rubber strip that sits on the underneath of the bonnet?

to answer your airbox question, theyre not cheap by any means, and if space is at a premium, its not really the best option. i run a carbon airbox from an ex-btcc honda accord. but my carbs face the wrong way. being on a TU engine.

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

Robsbc

Mark,

The extra thickness of the RADTEC Rad is towards the front of the car. The rear face of the rad is in the same position as the original rad. If it was towards the engine, me and Daz would never be able to get our oil filters out which are fitted onto a mocal sandwhich plate.

Stew205 also had a RADTEC rad and he cut his lower cross member out and push the rad further forward. Don't why he did this but he also made a airbox for it.

RADTEC check this for you if you leave the car with them for any fitment problems as that is what Daz did before I got my rad.

Matt @ QEP had some airbox's not sure if they are for sale.

Your getting 80 degrees at the moment? Never seen that sort of temp even during the summer months...Might be around 40 max during traffic then drops down quickly enough when on the move...

Rob

Edited by Robsbc

mos

hi

rob

its never actually hit 80 but its been close high 70's

it when i am sat running the car playing with setting in the kms for say 20 mins once the car is already at operating temp

funny thing is the skip brown 72degree thermostat keeps water temps under conntrol and the fan never really cuts in

i have had situations wher the under bonnet air and the coolant temp have nearly been in equalibrium!!!

good news about the radterc going forward but i am just looking for a slightly cheaper sollution than near £500

does anyone actually know if fitting an airbox will lower the air temp, surely it must

but equally important is will an airbox effect performance through the rev range

i am tempted by one of the pipercross airbox demon tweeks sell for about £150 or so but at 60mm my trumpts are a little long for the boxes and i dont really want to change to 45mm trumpets as i think this will be detrimental to performance mid range performance and send by peak torque higher up the rev range

any thoughts on this anyone

thanks

mark

benlilly

Hi Mark,

Lumenition have a universal airbox here

http://www.lumenition.com/airbox.pdf

Looks a little on the large size though.

There are also these guys http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/shop/products.php?g1=ff77b3

Bit pricy though.

Also, I'm sure I remember someone on here running an airbox sourced from an Elise.

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by benlilly

Robsbc

Your unlucky me and Darren paid £275 each...

Cheaper option is to cut the lower slam panel where the rad sits on. Fit custom bracket (can weld or bolt) and move standard rad forward and downwards. Then fit a universal hose for the bottom hose. Jon Murgie used a univeral hose.

Will cost less than a airbox and Radtec soltion...

Rob

P.S Jon Murgie had the airbox for an Elise.

Edited by Robsbc

smckeown

surely the main purpose of an airbox is to reduce noise. And furthermore is it heat soak from the rad causing the high inlet temps ?

If so an airbox might not be the complete solution. Unless its an airbox combined with insulation at the same time (which is what I have planned)

Have you seen heat shields that sit above the rad to toop heat soak, I believe des-developments have dome one, but seems fairly straight forward in design

Daz_C

Send me a PM with your phone number I'm sure I can knock a fair wack off that price :blink:

Who did you speak to ?

Stew has pushed his right forward between the headlight panels much further than mine but as said he has modified the lower crossmember.

I had terrible problems before running my carbs when in traffic for long durations of time. Its all good now though :D

The way I see it is that the standard radiator is blocking alot of air flow from getting around the engine bay so once its hot in there it takes a fair distance of driving to get that back down. The radiator we had built cures this problem totally as its leaving vertually the whole Grill Area clear for the air to pass through without restriction, and the radiator is also getting its fair amount of air to aid cooling. IMO :)

Doof

Something i read in A Graham Bell's book "Forced Induction Tuning" mentioned that when using an airbox or manifold for that matter it can be beneficial to have inlets at both sides, rather than just one. Can't be that hard surely.

Edited by Doof

Dj_mini
Send me a PM with your phone number I'm sure I can knock a fair wack off that price

Wish you would have said that before i ordered mine week before last (should be here wens) there coment was "there is no budge in the price at all unless you can place 5 orders" i even tryed the old im a member of the 205drivers does that mean i can have a discount but no joy :blink:

Swazy

By the way, wich intake system would you prefer by driving an mi16 into Peugeot 205?

As some people here know, i mounted an inlet manifold from gti-6, also i use the standard mi airflowmeter.

I recieved a standard mi16 airbox as a gift, but there so less space to mount all these goodies.

So what would u do? :blink:

Guest BrainFluid
if your struggling in traffic then what about fitting a second rad fan from a diesel motor on a manual switch?

Sounds like the cheapest and simplest solution to me...Would only take an afternoon and shouldnt cost more than £20 for the extra fan, some wire, a relay and a dash swith.

Powers

That radiator price is ridiculous and dam right outrageous. I have been pricing up a custom radiator from a local ali fabricator and I am getting quotes around £225, for a similar size as the original but twice as thick (2 core).

Just out of interest why is the Radtec radiator £500?

Dj_mini
That radiator price is ridiculous and dam right outrageous. I have been pricing up a custom radiator from a local ali fabricator and I am getting quotes around £225, for a similar size as the original but twice as thick (2 core).

Just out of interest why is the Radtec radiator £500?

Its not £500 its £380 inc the fan thats a 64mm core iirc? But im still waiting for mine to arrive :D

Sign in to follow this