• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

1.4 8v Tb'd Hillclimber Latest...

Sandy

I finished rebuilding the top end for this 106XSi belonging to a friend of mine last week. I might be double driving this car this year, so I've got a special incentive to get it working well!

It's got the first head i've done myself, 4900646 catcam, 45mm TB's (already had them, no funds to change for smaller) on my inlet manifold (370mm overall tract length), GMC 4-1 exhaust manifold and Pugsport system. It's on Omex500 ECU, which i've just about got to grips with now.

I mapped it quite quickly on the road to what you see here and the injectors (149cc@3bar) maxxed out at 6k and it's running slightly lean to the 8k limiter, so we'll obviously be sorting this ASAP (ignition is only mildly set up at the moment to be sure) and hopefully get it in the rollers next week to finalise the map and find out what it's making.

Subjectively it feels incredible. It's not especially light, being a road prod car it's fully trimmed bar the carpet and fitted with the long Quaife gearset and 4.29 FDR, so the gearing is quite tall (second is almost as tall as a 1.9GTi) and used to feel frankly too tall before, but now it feels very urgent all the time and the noise is to die for! There's a flat spot around 4k, but from 4.5-8k it pulls hard all the way, throttle response is electric, it only makes the large bodies feel an issue below 3k really, I would have preferred smaller bodies obviously, but new bodies weren't affordable.

Turn it up and enjoy :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WgNVKpoOw

smckeown

hmm rasp tastic! With the TBs so close to the firewall, i bet the vabin vibrates every time you apply the loud pedal :D

It maybe the video quality, but it doesnt appear to be picking up that much speed throug hthe rev raange.

I've got my external mic ready to be taped to the firewall when i get my baby back soon :D hmm throttle bodies....

Sandy

It's quite tall geared and the car is quite heavy, probably 860kg, but it does feel incredibly lively in the flesh.

smckeown

also i notice the drilled rear valance. I was thinking of doing the same a while ago and posted on PSOOC maybe to the effect. The response I got was that it will have a detrimental effect on turbulance and be a negative improvement. You think otherwise ?

I initially thought drag would be reduced

James_m

Sounds incredible, and if the gearing is that tall looks well rapid. Nice 205 gti coming the other way at about 3:30ish too :D

Sandy

I didn't do anythings else to the car. The I think aerodynamics are largely guesswork at amateur level! I think you'd struggle to find a club/forum member wuith genuine and useful knowledge on it. You might relieve a high pressure area, reducing turbulence and lift at the rear, but on the other hand you might destroy a useful air cushion that helps to stabilise flow under the bumper and therefore increase ingestive drag... and so on!

I saw the 205 in the Vid too! The tall gearing does throw you sense of speed slightly, imagine how long a 1.9 Gti takes to get to near 7000rpm in second, this has a taller first, almost the same 2nd ratio, probably weighs as much isn't fully mapped yet and is revving to 8k, for perspective! It sounds twice as good in the flesh as well, but videos never do full justice.

GLPoomobile

Bit far from home weren't you?

I mean, that was filmed on the hills up between Bowd and Honiton, and behind Ottery St Mary wasn't it? Starting on Core Hill Rd?

Sounds great :D

Rippthrough

I hope mine sounds that good on 38's!

I'm gonna cry if not!

Sandy

It's the best sounding TU i've heard yet, I absolutely love it! It wasn't me filming GLP, but it'll be somewhere around there so i'm sure you're right.

Baz

Sounds fappin' awesome!! ;)

Sam

A very familiar sound! Keep up the good work!

BTW I´m coming round more and more to making this engine 1.8 and making it a little more revvy, I´ll try and catch you on msn one day.

Sandy

Cool, alright Sam, hope you're having a marvellous time!

Dave87

sounds amazine nice work.

Guest JasonS

Any power and torque figures for this engine? it does sound amazing!

Sandy

Not yet, it's going in the rollers some time over the next fortnight all being well so I can change up the injectors and finish the map.

Guest JasonS

It will be interesting to see the torque curve with those bodies, i know its only a video and not much can be taken from it (besides the noise lol) but it looks like it pulls decently

Sandy

I'll be interested as well, I don't think the figures will convey the response and eagerness of it, it has a standard flywheel, but feels like it hasn't got one at all when you blip on the downshifts!

pdd144c

Looks like yet another good project you're involved with Sandy! What will this car be used for once completed?

cybernck

it sounds nice and seems to go well too :lol:.

is that a white 205 XS you meet at 3:37?

Sandy

I don't know, I wasn't in the car.

It's a hillclimb and sprint car competing in the ASWMC championship, 1400cc road production. I'm switching it to Alloy block in the next wave of improvements (because i'm a firm believer it makes a difference to the handling).

TB_205GTI

Any news on the engine?

Sandy

He's just enjoying it currently! Hopefully get it in the rollers soon to tweak the cam timing and optimise the map.

Sign in to follow this