• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
veloce200

Fuel Economy

veloce200

what kind of fuel economy do people get from the following:

1.6 8v std

1.9 8v std

1.6, 1.9 modified

1.9 16v std

1.9 16v modified

i think it might tell us something about how our cars are running if we get some meaningful data.

mine 1.9 8v (std but running emerald ecu and narrowband which worsens economy) - 25-32 average

Edited by veloce200

Faz85

My 1.9 8v - about 60 miles to a tenner when i boot it (~ 25MPG), but taking it easy it will do about 30MPG max. It is running a little rich tho.

Standard Spec, but has motronic ignition. (not sure if it makes much difference)

Faz

Edited by Faz85

welshpug

last time I worked it out I got 34mpg on an A/B road drive/blast to aberystwyth and back from cardiff, 110 miles each way, 2 hours each way...

standard 8v engine, K&N, Longlife mild sport exhaust from end of standard Downpipe.

I get this quite regulary on these kind of drives, must be my drving style, as I dont like to rev the nuts off it, rather use the nice midrange grunt the 8v has.

danpug

1.6 8v std- 32-34 mpg, mixed driving.

1.9 8v std- 27-28 mpg, pretty much taking it easy, engine is a bit old and worn though.

1.9 16v std- 32-34 mpg, mixed driving.

1.9 16v modified (throttle bodies)- 24 mpg, normal driving bar the occasional quick blast.

sonofsam

2.0 Turbo ~ around 21. Lowest of the low, but do you hear me grumbling :):D

danpug

Is that standard or modified??? What sort of driving style? Imo you cant beat an mi16 for performance/mpg, be interesting to find out what economy gti6, s16, etc engined 205's manage.

Ryan

1.6 8v = 30-35mpg

1.9 16v = 28-35mpg

veloce200

good stuff. i am building a spreadsheet!

sonofsam
Is that standard or modified??? What sort of driving style? Imo you cant beat an mi16 for performance/mpg, be interesting to find out what economy gti6, s16, etc engined 205's manage.

That was standard, 205 Turbo! what kind of driving stlye do you think :D proabably about 50/50 TBH though.

If you hammered it all the time i reckon you could get that down to 19 :)

I guess their is a price to pay for all that torque :(

Wonder what a TT manages?

danpug

I can imagine a TT would be a heavy drinker with a planted right foot.

welshpug

2.0 Mi16

405 that is, last time I did a motorway run at a cruising speed of 80mph for 450 miles I got 34 mpg from it, havent bothered to work out since as its lovely and mellow if you keep it below 4k, and mental above!

TaffyTim
good stuff. i am building a spreadsheet!

Ive kept a track of my mpg on every fill on an excel spreadsheet for my old 1.9 8v and my current 1.9 16v. Ive noted my driving during each fill and noted any work that has been carried out because i am that sad.

overall average for:

1.9 8v = 29.07mpg over 9,223 miles

1.9 16v = 30.39mpg over 4,696 miles

If you want a copy i can send them to you, pm me with your email address if your interested. It might also be useful for you as all you need to enter is the date, litres put into tank (filled at same point every time) and the mileage. From this it gives: Miles travelled on previous fill, Miles per Gallon on previous fill, How I drove after fill + Work done, litres in total, miles in total, Average MPG. It also provides graphs showing mpg per fill, average mpg from each fill and a joint graph of the 2.

I shouldnt admit things like this :D

Anthony

A few of my recent cars...

205 1.6 GTi (standard) - approx 34mpg average (38mpg highest)

309 1.9 GTi (standard) - approx 35mpg average (39mpg highest)

205 1.9 GTi (std except cam) - approx 34mpg average (36mpg highest)

205 1.9 Mi16 (standard) - approx 33mpg average (36mpg highest)

306 S16 (standard) - approx 30mpg average (with a faulty lambda - should be higher now I've replaced it)

205 1.8TD (standard) - approx 48mpg average (50mpg average)

205 1.8D Van (standard) - approx 54mpg average (58mpg highest)

That's on my daily commute, which is a mixture of town, motorway, and A-roads :D

danpug

How do you get so much out of your 1.9 8v anthony?? Do you think mine drinks alot more because the engine is pretty knackered?

Miles

On my CTi (1.9 GTi engine) gives a good 35mpg plus on a run and on the european tours I think I fill mine up once to everyone else's 2 times, Most I;ve had on a tank was around 400+ miles so not bad at all but the engine is almost brand new and covered around 7000 miles.

Worst car I had was my 405 Mi16, that averaged about 20 mpg so moving to my V6 was quite a saving.

axnutty

Mines much the same as other results so far. Its a 1.9 8v, the engine is good fettle and just had a rebuild. CO is set to 1.5% everything is standard (inc exhaust) except for a KN filter (new). The car is on a 1.6 gearbox so motorway driving is high revs all the time. But on a recent trip to Newcastle that incorporated single track country roads, fast A roads, and dual carriageway with some town driving in Newcastle itself. I managed 29.8mpg. I wasnt pushing hard on the motorway which may account for that (about 70mph)

2.0 Turbo ~ around 21. Lowest of the low, but do you hear me grumbling

Bummer...I was hoping the 2.0litre turbos would be a lot better than that. :) Would have helped convince me to gte on with a conversion :D

veloce200
Ive kept a track of my mpg on every fill on an excel spreadsheet for my old 1.9 8v and my current 1.9 16v. Ive noted my driving during each fill and noted any work that has been carried out because i am that sad.

overall average for:

1.9 8v = 29.07mpg over 9,223 miles

1.9 16v = 30.39mpg over 4,696 miles

If you want a copy i can send them to you, pm me with your email address if your interested. It might also be useful for you as all you need to enter is the date, litres put into tank (filled at same point every time) and the mileage. From this it gives: Miles travelled on previous fill, Miles per Gallon on previous fill, How I drove after fill + Work done, litres in total, miles in total, Average MPG. It also provides graphs showing mpg per fill, average mpg from each fill and a joint graph of the 2.

I shouldnt admit things like this :D

and I thought I was a tefal head ! quality!

veloce200
Bummer...I was hoping the 2.0litre turbos would be a lot better than that. :D Would have helped convince me to gte on with a conversion :)

I'm sure Sam just can't stop spooling up the turbo! parkers quote 28 avg for 406 sri turbo. one would expect more in pug - smaller frontal area, lighter..but one would also expect more spirited driving in a 205 :D

veloce200

spreadsheet needs more stats for firebreathing MI16's and weber carb equipped 8'vs and big boost turbo's

jackherer
I'm sure Sam just can't stop spooling up the turbo! parkers quote 28 avg for 406 sri turbo. one would expect more in pug - smaller frontal area, lighter..but one would also expect more spirited driving in a 205 :D

The 2.0 turbo engines are really really bad for fuel economy, I had one in a xantia and it was worse for fuel than my xantia 3.0 v6 with an automatic gearbox believe it or not!

TB_205GTI

1.6 8v std: ~14km/l

1.6 8v (XU10 head mild cam) ~14km/l

veloce200
1.6 8v std: ~14km/l

1.6 8v (XU10 head mild cam) ~14km/l

21.6 mpg

hengti

1.9 8v, 200K+ miles - 34mpg last time i monitered it

this was over a 1200 mile round trip to the N'ring - the 34mpg is the road average; the combined total road/track average mpg dipped to 26mpg after just 8 laps (100 miles) of the ring

d-9

106xsi16v 19mpg average

j_turnell

1.6 gti std 30-35mpg -mixed driving

1.6 gti Modified 28-30mpg -mixed driving.

Sign in to follow this