• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Stumped By 205 Running Problem

welshpug

I'm getting really ereally pissed off with my 205, basically when it gets up to temperature it cuts out, will not idle, and at worst will die when driving.

It will not restart when still hot, but will start fine when cold.

Its a spark related Problem I guess, as the rev counted bounces when its trying to cut out, it also stinks of fuiel when I try to restart it so theres definitely fuel going in!

parts that have been replaced are, Distributor (6 months ago, complete unit) spark plugs (again about 6 months ago) Plug Leads (6 months) coil (yesterday) Ignition amp (6 months ago and yesterday) all wiring seems to be intact (new dizzy came with a new fly lead) earth points are secure and clean.

what can I do?

(one option is to get the clutch fixed on my ZX and use that as the tax is up on the 205 and I can transfer the insurance over, then switch to ZX Volcane management, which I have wanted to do for a while, but this wouldn't solve the current problem, which immobilises the bloody thing after about half an hour!)

HEEEEEELP!!!!

Grez4

Maybe there is too much fuel going in? as it seems you have replaced a lot of the ignition parts?

have you had the plugs out to have a look at their colour?

Grahame

Edited by Grez4

welshpug

havent checked the plugs yet, But its NOT drinking the stuff and passed the MOT spot on at 1.5 % CO.

I have to add that when its running it goes like stink! (for a standard 8 valver that is)

smugpug205

I know you say you can smell fuel but had a very similar problem when I first brought mine 1.9 after about twenty minutes of driving would cut out and not restart which you could associate with when it warms up, replaced all the parts you have listed but it turned out to be my fuel pump, it was only delivering 1.4bar of pressure when I think it's meant to deliver 3.3bar, changed it and the problem was solved

I used a fuel pressure gauge I got from work just fitted it in line on the fuel line connection to the rail.

Hope it helps

Adrian

edit...... also would not pull properly when it was warm just felt like it had a flat spot all the way up before it died .....edit

Edited by smugpug205

welshpug

cool, a few things to try then guys, I think the fuel pump is the only item that hasnt been replaced, but I cant see how the engine being warm would affect it .

smugpug205
cool, a few things to try then guys, I think the fuel pump is the only item that hasnt been replaced, but I cant see how the engine being warm would affect it .

I was saying you could associate it with getting warm as it happens when it's warmed up could just be a coincidence.

But when it's warm the fuel would atomise / vaporise quicker (before it gets through the compression stroke), also less pressure to when it is injected in to the chamber

If you can get a second hand pump to test it if you can't check the pressure, must be one floating around on here.

Adrian

Edited by smugpug205

welshpug

righto, we'll see when the plugs come out.

one thing though, when I try to start it after it cuts out I do get the occasional POP! from the exhaust :D

but If I leave it for a few hours to cool down it starts first time.

Edited by welshpug

Grez4

I would definately check the plugs as its a few minutes job, you will then have a better view of how the engine is fueling or not fueling. Just pray one isn't covered in oil :D

As always never rule out the recently replaced parts :)

SPGTi

Try the water temp sensor (blue under thedizzy). When this goes the car thinks it is still cold so carries on dumping in loads of fuel. The car is then flooded and won't run or start.

steve

welshpug

will see if the one off the 309 does any difference.

Normski

I too would say that the coolant temp sensor was at fault.

bitchass 205
Try the water temp sensor (blue under thedizzy). When this goes the car thinks it is still cold so carries on dumping in loads of fuel. The car is then flooded and won't run or start.

steve

i would agree with this, although i thought it was under the inlet manifold?

A few months back i had the same problem, cutting out when warm but rev neddle bouncing a little. was told it was a little blue sensor under inlet manifold.

Michael

GLPoomobile

It is in one of two places depending on model - either on the back of the coolant distribution block thingy at the dizzy end of the head (look back behind the dizzy and it is back there near the exhaust manifold), or it is on a seperate coolant distribution thingy at the side of the block just above the gearbox and near the SAD.

Somebody like Pugtorque will probably come along now with a much beter description and pictures too, but this is the best I can manage from memory!

welshpug

on mine its under the dizzy screwed into the water block by the sad.

it amusingly enough cut out 100 yards uphill of the garage I use so I've left it with them and transferred the insurance onto my ZX.

what has also been suggested is the fuel pump and the ECU, but well see when a few tests have been done.

Sign in to follow this