• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Spare Wheel Holder

wildejon

This is going to sound weird but I have a 1.6 with speedlines and for some reason I cannot get the other 15" wheel to fit under the car in the spare wheel holder, so I'm having to use the old 14" one. Is it just me or does the 1.9 one not actually fit?!

Seems stupid to me, I'm sure I must just be being a muppet. Mind you, maybe its better to keep the goodwood wheel nice and shiny anyways :D

Grim.Badger

They can be a pig to fit into the cage but afaik the cages are the same.

Have you got any kind of rubber buffers in between the wheel and the car?

steve@cornwall
They can be a pig to fit into the cage but afaik the cages are the same.

Have you got any kind of rubber buffers in between the wheel and the car?

seem to just fit with an inflated 185/15 tyre on anything bigger is a pain! Try fitting it with the tyre deflated, and inflating when in place.

wildejon

I'll have a looky see tomorrow.I don't think there's any rubber under there....

At least I know its not just me being crazy!

Cheers :)

Jon

inferno
seem to just fit with an inflated 185/15 tyre on anything bigger is a pain! Try fitting it with the tyre deflated, and inflating when in place.

not much use when u get a puncture mind :D

sorry missread this! ignore me! and yes ive had this problem too

Edited by inferno

Guest BrainFluid

Ak.

Wind the hook clamp further down the thread. So you can get the wider wheel under.

Do it back up nice and tight from inside the boot so its secure and to deter thieves.

Hopefully you have an original wheel brace as one end of this is designed for this job.

Hth.

MiD

When I bought my car I couldn't understand what the intermittent rattle was from the back of the car eventually figured out that a previous owner had "lost" the spare and was using a thin but similar diameter emergency type wheel. This meant the cage would not close properly allowing the wheel to move around.

Both of my cars have the 15 inch 1.9 GTi wheels on them and for a spare wheel on both I use a 14inch alloy with a 185/60/14 tyre on it. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong but that size tyre on the smaller rim i equates to a 195/50/15. Probably not asthetically pleasing as having the same wheel as a spare but it fits in the carrier perfectly with out any problems or rattles and will get me out of a pickel if necessary until I sort out the original wheel.

Paintguy

My car came with a 195/55-15 in the spare wheel rack :) , so the standard wheel ought to go under there easily :D

Sign in to follow this