• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pj838

Mot - Wheel Bolt Problem/question

pj838

Just a quick question as the MOT is now due (doh)

I have a problem with one of my front wheel bolts, namely that the hub is threaded meaning it will screw all the way in but not tighten properly.

Will the MOT tester remove the wheels to check the condition of the brakes etc, and will they check the tightness of the wheel bolts?

If so I am guessing this is an MOT failure and I will need a new hub..? I plan on getting both new hubs soon but its a pain in the ass not being able to drive to pick em up..

Any advice much appreciated.

Paul.

GLPoomobile

IIRC they are not supposed to remove anything for the MOT, hence you don't need to leave your key if you having locking bolts (which I always used to do). They may still notice the loose bolt and possibly fail it on the grounds that the wheel is un-secure, but I couldn;t say 100%. I'm sure someone else will know though.

You may just get an advisory if they do notice.

Just had a thought, you could chuck loads of thread lock in it. That should hold it tight enough for them not to spot the problem.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Rippthrough
IIRC they are not supposed to remove anything for the MOT, hence you don't need to leave your key if you having locking bolts (which I always used to do). They may still notice the loose bolt and possibly fail it on the grounds that the wheel is un-secure, but I couldn;t say 100%. I'm sure someone else will know though.

You may just get an advisory if they do notice.

Just had a thought, you could chuck loads of thread lock in it. That should hold it tight enough for them not to spot the problem.

Should be an advisory I think, got a metro through with 3 nuts on each wheel before.

pugrallye

as long as wheel bolts are present it should pass, not allowed to remove wheels any longer. If bolt is missing it is actually a failure, but its all down to personal interpretation of the manual by the tester, and if there are hub caps or centre caps present as not allowed to remove these either.

Neosophist

I think the loctite / threadlock for the wheelbolt will suffice. I've never known a tester to check the wheel bolts but if it is rattling around like crazy when they move the wheels to check for play in the bearings they might say something about it.

My local tester says as long as it is attatched and secure they can't fail it (when he noticed i'd taped an ill fitting mirror glass from a tigra to my 306 wing mirror)

As for a new hub, try a local diy place like huges and holmes for a tap / thread cutter and try re-cutting the thread before you replace the hub, you might need a new wheel bolt though as they tend to strip away.

I've had to do it on a few peoples cars and spark plug sockets.. should set you back £3 or £4.. just take a good wheelbolt with you when you purchase one so you get the right pitch and diameter.

pj838

Thanks a lot guys, thats a load (of money) off my mind :angry:

I'll get some threadlock on it and get it tight, sounds like I should be ok!

Cheers

Paul.

steve@cornwall
super glue it :P

Or muller the threads with a hammer at tightening point :D:D

Sign in to follow this