• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fangoria

205 Gti Starting Problem

Guest Fangoria

i've got a K reg 1.6 gti that i've recently bought, when left for a few days it'll turn over but not start, it'll bump start easily then start on the key fine after that, could it be the cold start playing up maybe?

DirtyFlare

i had this problem with my 1.6. It would turn over but not start, very annoying. I would run the battery dead but with no avial, charged the battery a couple of things too but had no success.

It would bumpstart just like yours. But In the end i changed the battery and it now starts a bit slugish to start with but atleast it now starts. Halfords did have 20% off batterys two weeks ago so might be still on.

robbiecfc

Make sure the positive terminal on the battery is secured properly. If it is not tight the engine will turn over until the battery dies but will not start. I replaced the battery on my one a few weeks ago and thought I'd done something really stupid and blown some electrics. Scratched my head for around a hour and then made sure everthing was tightened properly, tried again and it started first time.

There is a funny connector on the positive terminal which you have to screw down to secure, this fits onto a terminal spacer (think its made of lead or something and it is a press fit job, think mallet and vice grip!) that fits onto the battery terminal.

Guest Fangoria

tried a different battery and the car is still the same, once it bump starts once its fine then and starts on the key, very strange

Sign in to follow this