• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

Respraying In Oxfordshire Area

RAF_gti

Hey

Does anybody know of any good quality, yet cheap resprayers in the oxford/swindon/cheltenham area?

For cheap read someone who will do it on the side!

Like everything in life I want cheap and good which as we all know, is never easy to obtain!

Steve

Beastie
For cheap read someone who will do it on the side!

Like everything in life I want cheap and good which as we all know, is never easy to obtain!

Steve

You have answered your own question there I think :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way: I run my own business restoring vintage and classic cars and I won't take on resprays because if I do a really excellent job no one in their right mind is going to pay me enough to cover all the hours I'm going to put in to give a first class finish that lasts for years. Therfore I am only prepared to paint cars which I have already been paid to restore and with any luck I might just break even on the painting.

If you find someone who is prepared to do this work on the side then they certainly don't work for themselves. If they are prepared to cheat their boss then there's no reason to worry about cheating you either!

I'd suggest speaking sensibly to people in the trade and explaining your circumstances: I have just quoted a genuine but impoverished enthusiast a very cheap price for a respray: The deal is that he does his own preparation and gets professional advice from me. I then paint his car and I will guarantee that there will be no sagging (runs) or orange peel but other than that the finish is down to him.

You pay your money and take your choice :unsure:

RAF_gti

Unfortunately yes you are right, I have to decide just how much mony I am going to put into the car and realistically I am going to keep it for.

I have had a quote of 'prob about a grand' so far of a 'proper' bodyshop, I would ideally like to pay between 6-700 if at all possible.

Just out of interest, what prior prep would you require for a 205 to do just the painting? Don't worry, I'm only asking generally, not trying to persuade you to take a job on!

Steve

Beastie
Just out of interest, what prior prep would you require for a 205 to do just the painting? Don't worry, I'm only asking generally, not trying to persuade you to take a job on!

Steve

Okay - this is a simpler question to answer than you might imagine: The only requirement of a spray painted colour coat is that it has an even finish with good gloss, no runs and no orange peel. Working in a clean environment with the correct viscosity of paint and the correct technique will ensure this. Everything else is down to the preparation:

The substrate on which a spray painter applies the colour coats defines the success of the job. Tiny scratches, ripples, dents, pinholes all show through the top coat. If the primer is contaminated with foreign matter then that will show in the colour coat too. When I spray a car nearly all the time goes into the preparation. When you are ready to spray colour coats the finish on the panels should be perfect already: It's matt and not gloss but it's still perfect. And there's no such thing as "good enough". Just "perfect". A handy hint: My wife (who is a huge help and unbelievably useful in the spray shop) insists that the best spray painters should be blind people because there's more skill in your hands than there is in your eyes. I think that she is right!

Start with bare metal panels which are as straight as you can get them. Then fill them with resin filler (or lead load them if you are as big an anorak as me) until they are as straight as a die. Run your hand over them and use your fingertips to pick up the slightest ripple. Apply 2 pack stopper to fill the slightest pinhole and "flat it" using wet and dry paper wrapped around a block of wood. Use a block of rubber for curved surfaces and even a piece of old radiator hose for curved sections. Apply primer filler and "block" the surface with wet and dry until it is "better than perfect". When you think that it is perfect get a black aerosol and spray speckles of paint all over the panels. When it's dry get a block wrapped in wet and dry paper and block the panels using plenty of water. The paper will remove the speckles of black paint on the high spots and leave them on the low spots. These are the ripples that will show in your colour coat. Fill the low spots and start all over again. This speckled coat of paint is called the "guide coat". The more experience you get with this work the less time you are going to spend on the guide coat. If you've never done this before expect to have to apply several guide coats before getting it right!

Hope this helps -- and best of luck

Cris

steve@cornwall
Okay - this is a simpler question to answer than you might imagine: The only requirement of a spray painted colour coat is that it has an even finish with good gloss, no runs and no orange peel. Working in a clean environment with the correct viscosity of paint and the correct technique will ensure this. Everything else is down to the preparation:

The substrate on which a spray painter applies the colour coats defines the success of the job. Tiny scratches, ripples, dents, pinholes all show through the top coat. If the primer is contaminated with foreign matter then that will show in the colour coat too. When I spray a car nearly all the time goes into the preparation. When you are ready to spray colour coats the finish on the panels should be perfect already: It's matt and not gloss but it's still perfect. And there's no such thing as "good enough". Just "perfect". A handy hint: My wife (who is a huge help and unbelievably useful in the spray shop) insists that the best spray painters should be blind people because there's more skill in your hands than there is in your eyes. I think that she is right!

Start with bare metal panels which are as straight as you can get them. Then fill them with resin filler (or lead load them if you are as big an anorak as me) until they are as straight as a die. Run your hand over them and use your fingertips to pick up the slightest ripple. Apply 2 pack stopper to fill the slightest pinhole and "flat it" using wet and dry paper wrapped around a block of wood. Use a block of rubber for curved surfaces and even a piece of old radiator hose for curved sections. Apply primer filler and "block" the surface with wet and dry until it is "better than perfect". When you think that it is perfect get a black aerosol and spray speckles of paint all over the panels. When it's dry get a block wrapped in wet and dry paper and block the panels using plenty of water. The paper will remove the speckles of black paint on the high spots and leave them on the low spots. These are the ripples that will show in your colour coat. Fill the low spots and start all over again. This speckled coat of paint is called the "guide coat". The more experience you get with this work the less time you are going to spend on the guide coat. If you've never done this before expect to have to apply several guide coats before getting it right!

Cris

If you can prep. it, you can paint it! go on, be brave and order 2 dozen rattle-cans from your factor!!!

The beauty of this is that you can keep going until you're happy with the finish, but really for people with more time than money, takes months to do what a pro can do in a couple of days!

sorr

I would try:

SpraybyDesign in Swindon. They do a lot of the Max Power kind of stuff, but don't let that put you off as the cars done by them I have seen look great.

calvinhorse

try a local college with an auto repair corse, costs about £250 but can take along time.

the colleges teach them how to do it correctly and well.

if you can piss.. :P

Beastie
If you can prep. it, you can paint it! go on, be brave and order 2 dozen rattle-cans from your factor!!!

The beauty of this is that you can keep going until you're happy with the finish, but really for people with more time than money, takes months to do what a pro can do in a couple of days!

Strewth - I'm not sure that I'd invest all the time and skill necessary for good prep if I was only going to cover it with aerosol spray. It's not the same stuff you put in a gun and need a booth for y'know B):P

.....(and yes - I do acknowledge that rattle cans have a place in life, but I don't believe that has anything to do with total resprays!)

steve@cornwall
Strewth - I'm not sure that I'd invest all the time and skill necessary for good prep if I was only going to cover it with aerosol spray. It's not the same stuff you put in a gun and need a booth for y'know B):P

.....(and yes - I do acknowledge that rattle cans have a place in life, but I don't believe that has anything to do with total resprays!)

Why not :D

DSC00107.jpg

Wouldn't do it to an Aston,though. On balance with car value don't see the problem doing a Pug

Edited by steve@cornwall

Paintguy

A very nice post there Beastie - anyone would think you'd done this sort of thing before :D

I have to totally agree though. Painting is the easy part, even though it's the bit that most people notice straight away. Look a little deeper though, and the prep work is what makes a good job into a great, and lasting one (IMHO)

By the way - do you really still lead load? It's a skill I've never managed to master, and usually just and up with a pool of the stuff on the floor ;)

RAF_gti

Cris

Wow

Thanks for that Cris ;) Certainly a lesson in prep there, I get the impression you take a great deal of pride in your work.

After numerous searching it look's like I shall have to go for the slightly more expensive option. never mind, at least it will look good I hope!

Steve

Alastairh

Sorry to interrupt. Andy you get my pm about the green bits?

Alastair

Paintguy
Sorry to interrupt. Andy you get my pm about the green bits?

Alastair

Yes mate I did :angry:

Sorry I've not got back to you yet, but I'm having to fight to get on my PC lately as Zoe keeps bringing work home! Also snowed under at work, but I'll knock something together and try and reply later on.

Alastairh

Cheers chap :angry:

Sign in to follow this