• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

Whats The Standard Boost On Xu10cjte

bales

I have searched loads for this and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, some people say 7 psi which is approx 0.5 bar and other say 10ish psi which is 0.7bar.

I would have thought there is a fair difference between 7psi and 10 psi in terms of power so I would really like to know this.

Cheers

(Oh and I have hopefully bought an engine now - cheers Johnrobertgordon)

sonofsam

When I was running the boost solenoid , gauge was showing 0.5Bar

Not really a huge difference between 0.5 and 0.7, but you knew about it!

1bar makes a big difference though..

bales

Cool thats what I wanted to hear, went out for a ride in John's turbo yesterday and it was bloody quick for 0.5 bar and was certainly quicker than what I was expectin 150bhp to feel like.

My plan is to get the engine in and then get a single stage boost controller (one of those turbosmart thingies) which you can set at standard and an elevated level and switch between the two of them from the dash. Its still a bleed valve basically but just a bit posher.

I am going to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator though and get it set up on the rolling road and basically see what the safe boost level is to run at without it going lean and play about with the fuel pressure.

I know everyone dosent like powerboost valves but they are still adjustable plus they are slightly rising rate which is better for a turbo car. My worry is that if you up the base pressure you will get more flow to stop it being lean at high revs but it means it will be overfueling the rest of the rev range and have crap economy or have other side effects. It is a bit of a bodge compared to a remap but then again so is the TT 5th injector and plenty of people use that with decent results.

sonofsam

Yeah the amount of torque you get makes it feel quicker.

150 = .5 bar

186 = 1bar

so .75 is some where in between, mines always smells like its running rich anyway lol

I personally wouldnt bother with a twin stage boost, just not putting your foot down so hard works for me B)

The standard electronic boost controller gives a very smooth boost curve, as opposed to the typical bleed valve, wich can/is a bit spiky.

I'll be running that again soon instead of the MBC.

You remind me of me :D worry about the conversion first mate B)

bales
Yeah the amount of torque you get makes it feel quicker.

150 = .5 bar

186 = 1bar

so .75 is some where in between, mines always smells like its running rich anyway lol

I personally wouldnt bother with a twin stage boost, just not putting your foot down so hard works for me :D

The standard electronic boost controller gives a very smooth boost curve, as opposed to the typical bleed valve, wich can/is a bit spiky.

I'll be running that again soon instead of the MBC.

You remind me of me B) worry about the conversion first mate B)

How do you adjust the boost with the standard controller? it is a solenoid i think that is cycled at a specific frequency to maintain the correct boost, so you would need to have it chipped to run more boost would you? that sounds expensive.

Fortunately......(famous last words) it should be a relatively ok conversion as it is out of a 205 and has all the bits with it.

Though since I have said that it will all go terribly wrong, i do expect problems though as I have never done anything on my car without something not fitting right or some bit missing from somewhere.

I always get ahead of myself! B) I will just be getting it running first before tweaking

Cant wait now though :D

Guest leegt

hey i got one of these engines too, although i would like to run at a much higher output than the 150 bhp, was hoping for double that to be honest!! although i maybe dreaming!! i would of thoought that 1 bar would of given more of a hike in power than 186bhp although i'm not doubting that it seems now that the 300bhp maybe out of reach unless i run nearly 2 bar, (the engine will be fitted with forged pistons etc etc tho) anyone on here got near that? cheers lee

sonofsam
How do you adjust the boost with the standard controller? it is a solenoid i think that is cycled at a specific frequency to maintain the correct boost, so you would need to have it chipped to run more boost would you? that sounds expensive.

Thats right, no adjustment, without a remapped ECU, but trust me it gives a very smooth torque curve becuase it's control by rev's via the ECU.,limits wheel spin etc.

Fortunately......(famous last words) it should be a relatively ok conversion as it is out of a 205 and has all the bits with it.

Just think the about the money you'll spend on playing on RR's with fuel regulators, MBC's and wideband lambda for good measure, money well spent on other things like megasquirt for instance or a BFO Turbo :D

Im sure your conversion wil be fine then B):D

@leegt ~ 1bar with standard T25 is 186hp, wich has been dynoed by Boeseturbo.( who incidentally is going for 300hp i beleive )

No need for forged pistons either, standard internals can handle 300hp according to Hilgie, who always

give good info B)

Guest leegt

300 bhp on standard internals!!! dear me i didnt know that!! must be a strong old engine that iron block. think i'll still invest in some forged pistons and stress relieved rod and crank tho just to be on the safe side. it appears to me then the limiting factor on the engine not gaining more then 186 bhp must be the turbo and/or exhaust so a decent turbo and exhaust may release some more ponies as well as more importantly more torque?? hope this is correct? :)

Hilgie

Martijn ( http://www.205gti.com/racemonsters/racemon...acer2/index.htm ) runs just over 300Bhp on standard head and standard bottom-end. Just the headgasket was changed for a metal one from Cometic. Other than that he is using a custom exhaust manifold, T3 turbo, external wastegate and standard inlet manifold.

Guest leegt

i was going to put a MI16 head on aswell, i was hoping this would make a good bit of difference too.

Edited by leegt

sonofsam
Martijn ( http://www.205gti.com/racemonsters/racemon...acer2/index.htm ) runs just over 300Bhp on standard head and standard bottom-end. Just the headgasket was changed for a metal one from Cometic. Other than that he is using a custom exhaust manifold, T3 turbo, external wastegate and standard inlet manifold.

Bet thats a bit of a handfull ( in a good way of course )

That's it, Im buying a T3 asap. How much boost is he running Hilgie? Got to be near 2bar!

@leegt~ one of the restricting factors is said to be the standard exhaust manifold, that's why many people go for TT style manifold or DP custom jobbie.

Other is the small'ish T25 and obviously the amount of boost you run has something to do with it..

lol

tom_m

junk the standard turbo for sure, they are tiny, the boost charge must get way too hot if you're running high boost levels on it. i'd love to get a temp monitor on someones.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for decent power at reasonable boost levels with my set-up :rolleyes:

Guest leegt

was thinking about a td06 (i think) form an evo they run somewhere near the 300bhp mark and the turbos must be capable of supplying enough air for 350bhp you'd think.

johnrobertgordon

I don't know........you boys with your hair dryer enhanced engines, He He.

sonofsam

I think it would be very apt, to return with:

"If you can't handle the heat"... :D:wacko:

tom_m, there is an old post I found by DrSuess about a DIY modded temp monitor, results would prove interesting fo sure.

bales
was thinking about a td06 (i think) form an evo they run somewhere near the 300bhp mark and the turbos must be capable of supplying enough air for 350bhp you'd think.

I am going to be really boring now but I think that there isn't a huge amount of point in that sort of power in a light fwd car. I reckon 220bhp would be about max, if it was getting towards the 300bhp mark I think I would rather have that sort of power in something like a s13 200sx for a bit of sideways action!

I also think that a 220bhp 205 would be as quick as a 300bhp 205 as the lower gears would just be wheelspin and it would only by 4th and 5th gear that it would be silly quick but by then unless it is a track car its not the most of responsible speeds to be piloting a 205 at :D

But saying all that I still want the DP kit :wacko:

Guest leegt

engine is in the back.................................of an ax!!!!

bales
engine is in the back.................................of an ax!!!!

Well thats alright then!............madman :D

johnrobertgordon

I tried fitting mine in the back of my 205....

SP_A0041.jpg

gave me blind spots though so i put it in the front like normal people.

cybernck
...so i put it in the front like normal people.

whereas i would have put that in the rear ;).

sonofsam

Cheers Henry, think I have a spare grommet on the inlet manifold that could be tapped for a proper screw in type though!

Sign in to follow this