• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clifton

1990, G Reg 205 Gti 1.6

clifton

which gearbox would you say is in my car if its a 1990 1.6?

jackherer

Almost certainly a BE3 with reverse below fifth. Although if its a very early 1990 model it might have a BE1 box with lift up reverse.

clifton
Almost certainly a BE3 with reverse below fifth. Although if its a very early 1990 model it might have a BE1 box with lift up reverse.

nope...it has a be1 with reverse next to 1st :D i though it would of been be3 aswell, but i guess not

jackherer

1990 was the changeover year so it must be an early one. Or it has been changed at some point in the last seventeen (!) years....

clifton
1990 was the changeover year so it must be an early one. Or it has been changed at some point in the last seventeen (!) years....

most likely, i dont see why you would want to change it to a be1 though, so im thinkin og changing it to a be3? do you think its worth it?

jackherer

Back in the day 205 GTIs were worth good money and so were the gearboxes so a BE1 retrofit would have made a lot more sense a few years ago.

Its not worth changing it IMO, if it works OK I would stick with it, imagine how pissed off you'd be if you swapped the box and found the synchros crunching not long afterwards?

clifton
Back in the day 205 GTIs were worth good money and so were the gearboxes so a BE1 retrofit would have made a lot more sense a few years ago.

Its not worth changing it IMO, if it works OK I would stick with it, imagine how pissed off you'd be if you swapped the box and found the synchros crunching not long afterwards?

the gearbox doesnt work thats the point lol the diff has blown to big holes in it and i have a be3 box in the garage!

is it likely that the synchros will start crunching?

clifton

gearbox.jpg

this is the damamged be1 gearbox, dont suppose anyone wants to fix it :D

Edited by clifton

Miles

Only way to tell with the G's if it has the later black phase 2 seat fitted it will have the BE3 box or if it's got the grey tweedy trim it will have the BE1 box,

But you;ve done a proper job on blowing out the sun & Planet gears on that box!!

pug_ham

The gearbox has some nice holes in the dif casing, one planet gear was in the clutch housing when we took the gearbox off yesterday. :D

Its also got a late black half leather interior fitted but the but the gearstick etc is all Be1 so unless someone has done the full & proper swap over I think it originally had the Be1. Strange thing was though there was a breather fitted where the reverse lockout cable should've been on the Be1 & no lockout cable. :D

Looking through the collection of spares that Ben got with the car it is possible that the Be3 gearbox he has is from a late engine with the plastic cam pulley cover but we couldn't see the engine code tag. (I suspect it'd be B6E).

Graham.

clifton
But you;ve done a proper job on blowing out the sun & Planet gears on that box!!

it wasnt me that blew up the box...it was the previous owner that did it!

so is it likely that the syncros will start crunching afteer abit?

and what parts do i need to complete the swap from be1 to be3? i have been told but ive forgotten

cheers ben

jackherer
Only way to tell with the G's if it has the later black phase 2 seat fitted it will have the BE3 box or if it's got the grey tweedy trim it will have the BE1 box,

my 1990 G reg sorrento limited edition had a BE3 box but had phase 1.5 grey seats and plastics.

littlemike

I've got a 1.6 and 1.9 Gti, both 1989 g reg's and both have Be3 boxes with the later checked seats.

lagonda

My CTi is very late 89 & appears to have had a BE3 box from new. It's possible the factory came across a stash of BE1s & decided to fit them rather than retain them for spares sales.

Alastairh

As said, its the change over preiod so not every car is gonna be the same.

to change over, clutch pedal, clutch cable, and gear box.

I done it a few months ago on my brothers mi, but that was because thats the only box we could get at the time.

pug_ham
to change over, clutch pedal, clutch cable, and gear box.

The clutch release bearing is also different.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this