• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cossie350

S16 Conversion. The Nightmare Continues

cossie350

Well what a day. The 205 is pretty much ready for the mot so i thought i would do a few final checks starting with the gearbox oil. Not alot of oil in it so drained and refilled only to find it running out of the passenger side gearbox oil seal. After an investigation i have found that the shaft on the end of the driveshaft is too long and not allowing it all the way home so it can mate to the seal. Its hitting the shaft thats in the diff. the pic below is the s16 driveshaft and my 1.9gti shaft, you can see the difference in the pic. 205 is 70mm from end to where it seals and s16 is 62mm. Anyone came across this before as i know some of you are running s16 boxes.

Picture231.jpg

and this is what its hitting.

Picture232.jpg

Please help im stumped :D

jackherer

I thought all BE gearboxes and the related driveshafts were the same fitment but clearly not...

If the driveshafts are both made by the same manufacturer you may be able to take the end off the 306 shaft and put it on the 205 one, as long as neither is excessively worn.

cossie350

Afraid not mate the s16 shaft is thicker so is the knuckles.

jackherer

nightmare :D

I suspect you are the victim of so called 'internet mechanics' - someone has read somewhere that S16 boxes have the same ratios as Mi16 boxes and through a series of chinese whispers that has been extended to them being exactly the same.

allanallen

I've had a few S16 boxes and never seen this. I'd cut your loses and grab another box. al

cossie350

Ive got a "freak" then, yes :D , its an early s16 would this make the difference.

Edited by cossie350

allanallen
Ive got a "freak" then, yes :P

full blown mong. :D

allanallen
its an early s16 would this make the difference.

best bet is to have a look at part no.s for 306 s16 driveshafts and see if they changed them (If you really want to know??!!) al

Hilgie

The S16 box has the stronger bigger diff.

What I always do is to swap the gearbox side of the driveshaft over. Job done....

Miles

The late BE3 boxes from say S16's and late 405's use the revised stronger diff (Don;t know why they called it that as it isn;t) which makes the N/S shaft shorter, Which I think is the same fitment as the ZF Plate diff so you can save a good £800.00 on buying on of those, So you can I think change the inner CV joint over thou I've never tried this, Quick fix thou is swap it with your old Diff but don;t forget to change the crownwheel

Edited by Miles

cossie350

Ha i was just about to Pm the link to you Miles and ask you to have a look :D beat me to it. ZF plate diff ? Whats one of them ? Ive eyed the 2 gearbox end cv joints up and they don't look interchangeable as the shaft is thicker on the s16 shaft so i cant put the knuckle bit with the 3 bearing on, and the bearings them self look bigger so i cant slide the 205 cup on. Will get the vernier out tomorrow and double check.

Thanks all for your help :D

Rick.........

P.S: I hope your right Hilgie as i would be as happy as a dog with 12 d*cks.

Edited by cossie350

Miles

The shafts are the same size, so just swap it all over, easy as that

Hilgie

I am right as I have done this to most of my cars (fitting the bigger stronger diff). Miles, why do you think it's not stronger?

Left is the big one, right standard one...differences are obvious:

diffs1.jpg

diffs2.jpg

driveshafts:

PB130712.jpg

cossie350

Not good :D as i thought wont fit. Ive obviously got something different to you Hilgie, can you tell from the pics. The s16 shaft i have is about 2mm thicker than the 205. Its doing my head in now :D

Picture234.jpg

Picture233.jpg

Alastairh

Just do what Miles said and swap over to the normal diff.

Could be driving within an afternoon.

But you learn something new everyday though!

cossie350

Yeh i know what your saying mate, just bugs me, dont want to let it beat me if you know what i mean ha. Ive got till Thursday to get it done as i will be taxing it from the beginning of next month.

Miles

I normally find that the planet gear's shear in half so no matter what is done to the diff case this is going to happen, Only the Diff pin part is really stronger

Hilgie

@cossie350: just to get your car on the road I suggest you do what Alastair says. Obviously a complete different shafts compared to the ones I've come across.

@Miles: true, the planet gears are about the same yeah. but why would Peugeot have gone through the hassle (and cost) of designing a new diff when there's no advantage?

cossie350

Dropped the diff out of the 1.9 box today and went to put it in the S16 box, removed the drivers side driveshaft and noticed the cup that goes into the gearbox was bigger than the one on the passenger side. Whipped the CV boot off and hey presto the S16 cup fitted a treat, so rang my mate to see if he had a 1.9 D/S shaft so i could split it and use it on the P/S but he only had a P/S one, i asked him to measure the cup and it was the same size as my D/S which is what i needed. So im not quite sure what drive shaft i had in the P/S but it wasnt a 1.9 one. Anyway you was right all along Hilgie a S16 cup will go straight onto the end of a 1.9 shaft. Its all back together now and holds it oil. Result.

Thanks everyone for your help.

205GTIDrivers 1 - 0 French Tin Can :unsure:

Alastairh

Nice one :unsure:

taken it out for a spin yet?

cossie350

Yes mate had a quick blip down the road, goes better than i expected, first time i have ever driven a 205, im still grinning lol :unsure: . Reminds me a bit of my first car which was a mini just 5 times faster ha, i was always grinning like a fool when i drove that. Will you be going to the meet at Peterborough ? Hopefully see you there mate :o .

Miles

That shaft might be from a 406 ML box which is bigger all together, odd why you might have ended up with it thou.

Hilgie

Cool good news... as Miles says it may be a driveshaft from another gearbox.

Sign in to follow this