• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jacobs53

206 Gti Engine Modifications Are Starting - Opinions Welcome

jacobs53

Right, we have 3 months to completly develop a standard EW10J4 engine (135bhp) into a fire breathing monster. The engine speed has to increase to 10,000rpm, and we estimate around 350bhp at the minimum should be achievable.

We have investigated inlet runner sizes, and due to the increased engine speed and peak power being higher up the runner lengths have been simulated at approx. 140 - 160mm long from inlet port to plenum. Now this is the first dilemma, do we utilize a plenum type design with a single large throttle body, or do we allow each cylinder to have its own throttle body???

I'm more biased to use a plenum chamber with one large throttle body, but saying that its all open for discussion.

opinions please!

cheers lee

Baz

ITB's!! But i have no grounds to base that opinion apart from the obvious sound and looks!! :rolleyes::)

btw Lee, leave me feedback!! :P:D

Sandy

It would have to be mulitple bodies if you have the choice, single plenums are always a compromise for NA engines. The fact they're complusary in many motorsport disciplines (to regulate engine performance or reduce costs) seems to have led to the widespread and misplaced belief that they are equal or superior to multiple bodies.

Mattsav

ITB's are much easier to tune than a plenum.

Also to get it to rev to 10k will require some serious cams which discounts any kind of idle with a plenhum setup.

Are you going to be building this engine or just designing it?

niklas

If you have the resources ITB's are probably easier in the long run. But I guess a single TB would work well if you can get the plenum big enough! A very large plenum and intake runners don't have the problems of spindles/butterflies in the way...

But it's a little bit easier to finetune trumpet lengths if necessary on ITB's :D

Edited by niklas

Sign in to follow this