• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brick-IT

Must I Remove The Petrol Tank...

Guest Brick-IT

Hi guys,

Was hoping to be able to run new brake pipe without removing the fuel tank - what chance have I got please?

Cheers,

Jim

Gaz

I believe this is possible, I was told by s*it fit that you have to remove the fuel tank but I took it somewhere else and they did it without. I believe it is a lot easier if you remove it but bein as I didnt do this one myself I dont know how they did it.

Gaz

Wurzel

I agree with chief, It can be done. Bit of hassle but less so than removing tank in my opinion.

I masked off one end of the pipe with tape to protect the thread and stop crap from getting in. Tied a piece of string to the union and pushed it from the rear to the front of the car over the tank.

Looked up underneath, about where the rear jacking point is and (using a torch and bent metal coat hanger as hook, pulled the string down.

Retracted the pipe by about an inch and a half and then pulled fairly hard on the string (not too hard though, you don't want right angles in the pipe just yet).

Then with a bit of pulling on the string and pushing on the pipe, I managed to feed it through.

Next fiddly bit is getting it to go in the clips. I opened them up slightly using a screwdriver and then with a bit of brute force and a flat head screw driver liberally wound with masking tape on the end to protect the pipe, pushed the pipe into the clips.

Took me about 45minutes each side to get it all bent into shape and secured.

Guest RichF

Having just done this (over several weekends!), the only thing I will add is this, if you want to clip the new pipe into all of it's supports you going to have to remove the tank (read my last post in the topic chief referenced).

To attempt to locate the new pipe in the clips without removing the tank seems near impossible to me, 2 of the clips are located on the inside of the inner sill roughly level with the top of the tank and there's little/no gap between the tank and the sill to see what you're doing let alone poke anything up there!

If you aren't bothered about that then don't remove the tank :D

This thread may also be useful if you do decide to remove the tank:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...=ST&f=14&t=6935

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by RichF

Guest Brick-IT

Thanks - think I'll have a go on saturday

Jim

Sign in to follow this