• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Mi16 Juddering Violently On Pulling Away? :0z

kate205gti

my mi16 has a new problem! just before an RR day and a track day too - just to be awkward :ph34r:

its a violent juddering of the whole car when u pull off from a standstill, he doesnt do it if ur moving at any speed but if youve stopped (eg: for traffic lights or roundabout), then try and pull away in 1st it judders violently and shakes the whole car - once ur moving again its fine, speedign up and slowing down is fine and no other vibrations or symptoms once moving ;)

he had it a while back and i thought it was out of balance throttle bodies, anthony kindly balanced them for me and the problem went away for a while

the problem then came back and the bodies have been balanced properly, checked, double-checked and set up on the laptop inluding resetting the throttle pot

its just when you pull away, no matter what revs you use or what clutch action. If you are rolling at 5mph and let the clutch in it's fine, if you change gear fast and hard or slow and gentle when moving, at any revs, its all fine :( but its getting really bad now!! B)

any ideas please?? :lol::D

welshpug

Dying clutch (could be pressure plate or friction plate), worn out engine mounts (or just loose), Loose gearbox to engine bolts, or a misfire.

not much else it could be.

kate205gti

cheers :ph34r: stupid question of the evening - how many gearbox bolts are there?

M_R_205
cheers :ph34r: stupid question of the evening - how many gearbox bolts are there?

4 if i remeber correctly, 1 under the stater, 1 just above, one on the top, and a 8mm allen rite at the back around the drive shaft area, the other 3 are 16`s

kate205gti

thanku :ph34r:

Discostu

Have u thought that it could be brake related?

I know they tend to knock in reverse with worn caliper sliders. And u'r symptoms are similar only in a forward motion.

And u'r after all possibilties arent u? :ph34r:

Grim.Badger
4 if i remeber correctly, 1 under the stater, 1 just above, one on the top, and a 8mm allen rite at the back around the drive shaft area, the other 3 are 16`s

Hang on, I thought all four bolts were the same, that's probably why I can't get the damn fourth bolt back in mine. I lost the originals on the road so used a couple of spares and couldn't get the bottom one in, if a 16mm head one doesn't fit it's hardly surprising :ph34r:

jackherer

the lower 8mm allen key bolt also fits the other way round to the others, i.e. it goes from the engine into the gearbox.

DrSarty

Bad female driving?......................... :lol:

:ph34r:

.......waiting.......

P.S. Sorry, a bit more constructive - you haven't mentioned any 'clunking', just the judder, which to me sounds like the clutch. If it's power on power off then I'd think spark and fuel in that order. Why only from pulling off I can't imagine.

Edited by DrSarty

Faz85

I suffered these symptoms for a while after the thermostat on my 8v shot its load all over the gear box, resulting in a wet clutch for the next few miles. With it being water, It soon went away in my case, but is it possible that the clutch has been contaminated with oil?

Faz

Edited by Faz85

M_R_205
the lower 8mm allen key bolt also fits the other way round to the others, i.e. it goes from the engine into the gearbox.

oops i forgot abouit that hehe :ph34r:

Grim.Badger

Yep done that, it still didn't fit :D

I haven't had chance to try again as when I'm not working I'm knackered but it would be useful to know if the thread on the 8mm allen key bolt is different.

p.s. sorry to hijack :D Same symptoms as I had when my gearbox was falling off except my clutch squeeled when I pressed the peddle.

Edd-XS

Im no expert at all but it deff sounds like its clutch related... Its only happening when max load on all the bits (id assume pulling away from a standstill is when everythings got most force on it?) Have u tried pulling away in different gears?

Edd

taylorspug

Sounds like a contaminated clutch plate to me. Totally different motor, but my Transit does the same thing, ok if you let the clutch in when moving, but it doesnt like pulling away.

Check crank and gearbox seals. Check everything right up to the cam cover for leaks, as ive seen oil from here work its way into a box and onto the clutch. :D

pug309twin40s

My 405 mi16 was juddering badly on starting of and sometimes when driving and was down to worn bottom engine mount.

sorr
Sounds like a contaminated clutch plate to me. Totally different motor, but my Transit does the same thing, ok if you let the clutch in when moving, but it doesnt like pulling away.

Check crank and gearbox seals. Check everything right up to the cam cover for leaks, as ive seen oil from here work its way into a box and onto the clutch. :D

I agree and have had this on my 205 when a pipe was leaking and dropping coolant over the clutch. Got rid of the leak, gave the clutch some abuse to burn of the coolant and all was sorted.

C_W

I had these exact same symptoms, thought some thing was majorly wrong as it was juddering that badly when setting off - for some reason tightening the clutch cable solved it (don't know why but it did!!).

Martin@PRD

Just be very careful Kate, Ive had symptoms like this over the years which came down to a few following problems

1. Oil contamination.

2. Loose Cutch cable

3. Input drive shaft Bearing collapsed

4. Clutch arm bearings seriously worn

5. Clutch Spring broken

6. Clutch spline broken

I would buy a clutch as soon as possible and remove gearbox to further investigate, Ive had a few clutch spring to float around the clutch assembly taking flywheel, clutch and gearbox housing with it.

Sign in to follow this