• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Some Ice Lessons Needed.

macaroni

I want to install some new speakers nn my non-Peugeot but still French car.

I have a Sony HU and an Alpine T220 amp.

The current speakers are way down in the footwell, literally next to my feet, so I was considering using some component speakers to "lift" the sound up a bit.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so, can anyone recommend some good components for <£100, or if not, what co-axials can anyone recommend?

If the amp puts out 50W rms/channel and 140W peak, what rated speakers should I be looking for?

I'm a bit thick when it comes to ICE, so please be patient!

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Antony

DrSarty

Yep, your idea is sound. Who has ears in their ankles eh? :(

Footwells make brilliant locations for speakers, BUT it CAN involve a lot of work. I don't think that's the case here because as you've admitted you're not an ICE guru then we can keep it simple. So....

1) Your amp has plenty of oomph for this. 50W RMS is fine - pls ignore the useless max power figs coz they're twaddle - and as a rule of thumb the component speakers (i.e. a mid/woofer & tweeter combo with a crossover of some kind) you should buy should show a peak handling of at least twice that RMS fig., i.e. 100W.

2) The power handling figure should be no probs, but [A] you didn't mention size and you must ensure for simple installation that you check with the vendor that they're a straight one-for-one swap. Diameter is the easy bit, depth is what you wanna watch out for.

3) When you remove the current foot well speaker, the signal wire needs to be carefully pulled out as much as poss to give you room to work. You'll need to identify plus & minus out of these wires. The original spkr terminals may have a mark to show positive which will help you locate the positive feed.

4) Depending on the components you buy - and I can't recommend anything in particular, just buy the best you can afford - they will have a dedicated crossover (xover) box or just a small capacitor in line with the tweeters. In fact for your install the latter is what I recommend you buy for ease of installation. If it's a seperate xover then the insitu wire goes to the input terminals of the xover - then wire up spkrs as per instructions. If you follow my recommendation, then the insitu wire goes to your new woofer, and there'll be extra tabs on that woofer for the tweeter to be connected to (it's xover will be a heat shrinked lump in the wire near the tweeter).

5) Where you put the tweeters is up to you. Some say high up, which means you'll have fun & games weaving the tweeter wires around the dash. Alternatively if there's room the tweets can be mounted down low near the woofers but be angled to point roughly at the rear view mirror.

6) If the amp has a built in high pass xover, which will lop off the really low bass stuff that your new woofers CANNOT play, roughly 80hz and down, then use it. The woofers will handle more power that way, be louder and not become stressed so quickly.

7) Ensure all speaker connections plus to plus etc and enjoy.

8) I didn't mention amp installation because as long as you follow the instruction and DON'T cut corners with the power supply and earth wire aspects (can burn car or shock/kill you!), then you'll be fine.

Any questions your welcome to PM if you wish.

Now where's Paintguy.....? :lol:

Edited by DrSarty

Paintguy
Now where's Paintguy.....? :ph34r:

Wishing I could get my mids in my kickwells! :lol: I'm currently considering enlarging the hole right at the bottom of the A pillar to do it, but there ain't a lot of room :( Might even have to vent them into the void behind the front wing!

-----------

Above advice seems sound enough, but if you decide to buy components speakers, a good tip for finding what position sounds best is to wire them up temporarily, stick some blu-tack to the back, and try them in different places whilst listening to a piece of music you know well. You don't say what car it is, but kickwells, mirror backs, bottom of the a pillar are good places to start with.

Sign in to follow this