• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Thing Bolted To Suspension Turret Below Coil?

Mike Walker

Can anyone tell me what the thing bolted to the suspension turret below the coil with a plug going into it is called so I can place an order for one, its part of the ignition system the RAC guy did tell me what it was but I promptly forgot?

Also, are there any differences in engine/years for this - mine is an '88 1.6 originally with a 1.9 engine fitted.

Any help much appreciated :(

taylorspug

Presuming you mean the ignition amp? They are all the same across the years aswell, as far as i know. :(

Mike Walker
Presuming you mean the ignition amp? They are all the same across the years aswell, as far as i know. :(

I think that might be it, closest match I can find on GSF and ECP is a 7 pin ignition module, does that sound right - its just a little box, bit smaller than a matchbox bolted on with two bolts which makes your car cut out/not start when its bust!

taylorspug

Yep that sounds like the ignition amp to me. They are also the same as the MI ignition amps aswell, just for the record. :(

Mike Walker
Yep that sounds like the ignition amp to me. They are also the same as the MI ignition amps aswell, just for the record. :(

Excellent, cheers :D

Miles

I'd only buy a Bosch (MTR 01 code) one, aftermarket one's like Intermotor are poor quality I;ve found

hexhamstu
I'd only buy a Bosch (MTR 01 code) one, aftermarket one's like Intermotor are poor quality I;ve found

too true.

Super Josh

And make sure you put the heatsink compound on its mating face to help conduct the heat away too.

Josh

Mike Walker
And make sure you put the heatsink compound on its mating face to help conduct the heat away too.

Josh

Will do, will probably buy the cheapest module I can find to be honest as I'm absolutely skint but need the car for work!

Alastairh

Go to the scrap yard or put a wanted thread up then!

Mike Walker
Go to the scrap yard or put a wanted thread up then!

Would rather get a new cheap one than a second hand unknown one really.

jonnie205

i have about 10 known good second hand ones, i find they very rarely play up to be honest

Rob_the_Sparky

Although I have fitted the first one I was given from GSF without problem (on my 309). ALthough I do currently have a undiagnosed misfire at high revs that has developed recently (roughly 12 months after fitting said ignition amp) so the jury is still out.

jonah

This high-rev misfire comes up a lot, and I've never seen anyone mention this solution, so...

I noticed in the Haynes the other day a section on routing of the HT lead which is apparently quite critical, and can cause the above symptoms if it's wrong (routed too close to the dizzy pickup coil cable). I can't remember now exactly where it said to route it, but if you've got this misfire problem then it would be worth experimenting. I bet half of the problems that are apparently solved by fitting a new ignition amp are actually just fixed by moving the wires around a bit in the process!

Mike Walker
i have about 10 known good second hand ones, i find they very rarely play up to be honest

Are they all seven pin??

I bought an Intermotor one from ECP in the end which is seven pin although the one I removed from the car is six pin?

GSF sell a five pin and seven pin one but no six pin :unsure:

Anyway, fitting the new one didn't solve the problem, car still turns over but doesn't fire so I was just curious as to whether it should definately be a six pin one I should be fitting..........

Sign in to follow this