• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris1986

Few Questions On A 1.9 8v Upgrade

chris1986

hi all, i soon going to be doing this conversion as i know have the engine, its a 1.9 out of a 309gti. it has the pipes for the oil cooler and the oil filter is screwed onto an ally mount of some sort, as i'm not swapping the oil cooler over, what do you do with it, i have tried searching and founf that you unsrew what the filter screws omto then simply put the filter over onto that. but what do you do with the pipes that got into and come out of it, as i don't think the 1.6 has those pipes. any help on this would be great as would pictures. also the engine i have, the flywheel is knackered with cracks in it, if the one off the 1.6 is any good, would this swap straight over? i was also going to get the engine rebuilt in time, how much roughly am i looking to pay for this to a standard spech. one last thing can i swap the dizzy cap and rotor from the 1.6 to the 1.9 and leads?

cheers

j_turnell

You can use the 309 cooler if you wish youll just need to use the 309 top hose but you may need to cut it as its a little different iirc. Or you can just remove the unit large nut around 28mm and just screw on your oil filter so it will be like your exisiting 1.6. The 1.6 flywheel can be used, its also lighter than the 1.9 item. 1.9 dizzy cap can be used along with leads but tbh i'd service the engine if this hasnt been done recently as they dont cost that much, however it does depend on the year of both as they are different.

Give 205parts a call they do very good engine rebuild service at a competative price any information you need to know they will help you out. www.205parts.com

Edited by j_turnell

Miles

It's not really a oil cooler which is one of the biggest misconceptions of all, It's a heat exchanger to heat the oil up quicker which makes the engine more efficent quicker, But if using for track use it doesn;t help at all,

As said fit the 1.6 flywheel as it's lighter, also the clutch is the same

Dizzy caps can be the same but it depends on the yr of the 1.6 as they changed from Fe-male to male connections.

chris1986

what torque do you have to tighten the flywheel bolts to? is it advisabe to use loctite?

j_turnell

Yes always use locktite, i think its around 50NM, but thats off the top of my head.

brianthemagical

flywheel bolts renew and use thread lock, 49Nm. all from that useless haynes.

chris1986

thaks guys, what do i do with the hoses that come out of the oil cooler mounting or do i just get rid? as the 1.6 won't have them

j_turnell

Remove the oil filter and you will see a large bolt around 28mm remove that and the unit can be removed then just screw on your oil filter and use your existing 1.6 top hose.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got a spare top hose if you want to use the heat exchanger, can throw it you way for £8 posted.

chris1986

cheers richie, but i've removed it as i don't think i'll need it. the next thin that is on my mind, are all the engine mounts the same from the 1.6 to the 1.9? as one holds the driveshaft.

chris1986

also the new engine had the coil mounted on the wing, can i use the coil from the 1.6 and place it on the manifold?

welshpug

yes, but you'll need the manifold off the old engine as your new one wont have the mountings for the coil.

personally though I'd want it on the inner wing, away from all that heat and the older style coils are a lot cheaper.

pug_ham

Leave your wiring as it is now & change the inlet to suit, the hassle of trying to swap the wiring isn't worth it & a new gasket is only a couple of £'s.

Graham.

chris1986

are you saying i can use the inlet manifold off the 1,6 to put onto the 1.9? if so that makes life easier. are the alternator brackets the same too?

i'm going to use the fly wheel off the 1.6 due to another post, do i have to still use the starter motor that came with the 1.9?

thanks for answering all these by the way

Edited by chris1986

j_turnell

Yup the 1.6 manifold can be used they are identical just it has the mounting for the coil. All Xu starter motors are interchangeable so no worries with that, can use either. The alternator brackets are also the same, depends if you have PAS or manual though as they are different in that sense.

pug_ham

Starter motors & inlet manifolds are identical from 1.6 to 1.9 so you can use either one when you fit the new engine. Only difference is the size of the starter & coil mounts for on the inlet. Either will work the same on the engine.

When you swap the inlet manifold, you will also need to swap the injectors which can cause problems if the pintle caps come off when you remove them from the inlet. (1.9 has yellow injectors, 1.6 has blue).

Spray some wd40 around the injectors on the manifold & with the fuel rail un-bolted(2x 10mm bolts) use a 17mm spanner to gradually work each injector out of the manfiold.

They will push back into the new manifold easily enough & bolt the fuel rail down afterwards.

Graham.

chris1986

do i need to swap the throttle body over aswell or can i swap the manifold and fittings apart from the injector rail?

Sign in to follow this