• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

Leakage

Mike Walker

Hi guys,

I've got some water sloshing about behind my dash somewhere but can't work out how to drain it or where it might be coming from - any ideas?

Also, where abouts is the ECU as the car has started randomly just switching off every now and then so i'm wondering if its turned into an aquatic ECU?

mickie

if you can hear water sloshing about from your heater matrix i means it'll probably have air in it..

and if ya do a search on ecu's you should be able to find it under the drivers side dash but i bet its not the ecu

Mike Walker

So does the actual matrix go usually rather than the pipework in and out? Just wondering what I might need to source, is it a dash out job to sort it?

Mike Walker

By the way I still get plenty of heat (when the fan decides its going to work :rolleyes: ) and the carpets are dry.

mickie

try un-screwing the nut on the heater pipes in the engine bay, the ones that go through the bulkhead and make sure the header tank is full

Mike Walker

I have to top up the header tank every couple of weeks but the car never overheats or even threatens to....

As per usual i've kind of posted before searching but I was unsure of what to search for before posting if you know what I mean!!

I've had a search on heater matrix and it appears that if this is gone you get no heat and wet feet! I get neither symptom but i'll check it anyway.

In terms of cutting out it looks like loads of people have had the same problem and that the fix was straightforward so i've got a bit to be going on with.

mickie

you just have an air lock that needs pushing out.. shouldnt be too hard to fix. :rolleyes:

Ahl

Just a quick suggestion if it turns out not to be the matrix, water can also collect and slosh about in the front wings.

You need to clear the obvious drains in the wheel arches and also the non-obvious drains in the sill to clear this.

Mike Walker

Ah right, erm at the risk of sounding stupid how would that lead to coolant leaking out to behind the dash?

Edit: the air lock that is...

Edited by Mike Walker

Mike Walker
Just a quick suggestion if it turns out not to be the matrix, water can also collect and slosh about in the front wings.

You need to clear the obvious drains in the wheel arches and also the non-obvious drains in the sill to clear this.

Thinking about it I did at first think it sounded like it was in the passenger door but when I realised it wasn't I decided it must be from behind the dash so its very feasable that its actually in the wings!!

Mikey S
Thinking about it I did at first think it sounded like it was in the passenger door but when I realised it wasn't I decided it must be from behind the dash so its very feasable that its actually in the wings!!

its more likely to be in the sills. there are drain holes in the bottom that get clogged with crap and the water cant escape.

just give the drain holes a poke with a screwdriver and it will all come running out. :(

Sign in to follow this