• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Track Specific Suspension Setups

acox99

iv been searching the forum for the best coilover kits and spring rates, and i still dont know what really is the best there are so many mixed reactions towards the likes of spax, billies gaz etc. but there all road based, not many track setups, can anyone shed some light on what sort of thing i should look for, i want it pretty solid, and its for my 205 x4 project so there will be more weight at the front than a standard 205 track setup.

cheers guys

Rippthrough

Budget?

SPGTi

Best would be a 3 way adjustable (withe remote cannisters) setup like Proflex. Spring rates would depend on what you have done to the rear beam.

Get your wallet out, and be prepared to spend spend spend if you want the best.

Steve

Edited by SPGTi

WildCards

I've got Leda adjustable up front and Bilstein at the back. But I haven';t been able to test them yet. Friend of mine bought a 205 gaz kit for his 306 from here http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/ and reckons they are brilliant on track. Cost him about £800 I think.

acox99

iv got a pretty tight budget, and will most prob be secondhand, looking £300 tops, so the best bang for the buck, if you get my guist.

smckeown

well you wont get much for £300, you'll be lucky to do more than just get a good road/occasional track setup.

Some people seem to do fine on standard ish suspension, where others go much stiffer on the rear.

Some specific advice I can give is to appreciate the difference between road and tracksetups. A road setup on a track will result in the outer edges of your tyres being worn very quickly. That's why track oriented setups run a lot more negative camber; the amount of camber depends on the tyres (how stiff the sidewalls are)

A good tip is to get your own Wheel Alignment Gauge. Road cars have front toe in for stability which will result in understeer on the track plus lack of mid corner grip. Whereas track cars have either neutral or toe out settings. Ideally you want a device to change it on the actual event. I plan to get one of these for that exact reason.

TCG4008.jpg

I'd also get a second set of wheels and run a very worn set of tyres. Newish blocks will overheat very quickly and become dangerous on track

Solid read mounts are always a good idea

Other than hat i'd just spend money ensuring the current suspension is in good nick

Sean

Edited by smckeown

sutol
well you wont get much for £300, you'll be lucky to do more than just get a good road/occasional track setup.

Some people seem to do fine on standard ish suspension, where others go much stiffer on the rear.

Some specific advice I can give is to appreciate the difference between road and tracksetups. A road setup on a track will result in the outer edges of your tyres being worn very quickly. That's why track oriented setups run a lot more negative camber; the amount of camber depends on the tyres (how stiff the sidewalls are)

A good tip is to get your own Wheel Alignment Gauge. Road cars have front toe in for stability which will result in understeer on the track plus lack of miss corner grip. Whereas track cars have either neutral or toe out settings. Ideally you want a device to change it on the actual event. I plan to get one of these for that exact reason.

TCG4008.jpg

I'd also get a second set of wheels and run a very worn set of tyres. Newish blocks will overheat very quickly and become dangerous on track

Solid read mounts are always a good idea

Other than hat i'd just spend money ensuring the current suspension is in good nick

Sean

That trackrite is a good bit of kit and I think it's more accurate than a kid with lasers. Mines paid for itself over and over. works for me :)

P.S. you can do the back with it as well !!

Edited by sutol

tagy

How accurately can you set the toe-in/out with the trackrite, looks interesting, hate paying a garage to do the tracking.

smckeown

i'm told VERY

sutol
How accurately can you set the toe-in/out with the trackrite, looks interesting, hate paying a garage to do the tracking.

To within half a degree if you are in a hurry but when you get used to it you can do better .

How accurate due you want? The toe changes under braking anyway so there is no dead accurate setting . Just have to use trial and error in my experience , unless it's rose jointed suspension job :)

acox99

sounds like a good bit of kit, i have done setups with lasers and its a pain in the arse. on another note, i have solid mounts o and a set gaz adjustables on the rear, im just looking for something juicy on the front.

Rippthrough
sounds like a good bit of kit, i have done setups with lasers and its a pain in the arse. on another note, i have solid mounts o and a set gaz adjustables on the rear, im just looking for something juicy on the front.

Which rears do you have? As I'd be after the alloy double adjustables for the rear if possible, they react much faster for a start, but they might do for now.

Personally I'd fabricate some mounts up for the front and run some off-the-shelf fox coilovers, 2233 or 2755 (6.5" and 8.5" travel respectively) are £160 a corner, or 2235/2756 which have remote canisters for £200 a corner. Would only cost £25 a corner to have some mounting adaptors made up. Then you also have access to off the shelf valving kits if you need any drastic damping changes. Little over budget if you go for the non-remotes but not far off.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this