• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Valves

boldy205

Hi, just in the middle of my MI16 rebuild and wondering how important it is to put the valves back in thier specific valve guides when putting them back into the head? and what problems would i have if i didnt put them back in thier places?

Thanks,

Matt

boombang

Different valves and guides may wear differently - so you may find some valves end up tight, others loose.

Also the valve cut on the back will match the seat - so if you've changed location they will need grinding back in.

It is considered good practise if not replacing components to put them back where they came from.

boldy205

they are being ground in, so as long as i do this and check for wear (its only 2 exhaust and about 4 inlet that may be mixed up) i should be ok? my ham fisted ness is a real pain sometimes!! :)

so no major probs as long as they are not tight/to loose?

Jer309GTi

How did I know that carefully arranged collection of parts would be sent flying! :)

boldy205

best intentions and all that! when you have hands made of sausages and pork chops its hard to do anything with any kind of grace. :)

so thats all then? no great worry?

Edited by boldy205

Rippthrough

For future reference - bit of cardboard, 16 holes in, label em up.

petert

16 baked bean tins, all the parts for each valve in the one tin.

boombang

16 clear plastic tubs, from Wilkos for next to nothing (we all have our own systems ;))

sorr

I am now in the tippex camp, used to box up but boxes are offer no protection, unless you use lids, from being knoocked over and so mixed up by the cat! :)

boldy205

thats good, it all seems ok fitting wise and all the valves are ground in now, thans for the replies!! maybe i should try to be a bit less clumsy!!

Jer309GTi
maybe i should try to be a bit less clumsy!!

or drinking less alcohol when rebuilding an engine.... :)

Sign in to follow this