• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiD

Door Cards

MiD

I was going to retro fit electric windows today, having managed to secure the parts from here and ebay, (cheers RVG). However as I don't have a garage and live on a main road which means I have to take it to a side street to work on the car I'm unable to do anything because of the weather. Do not really fancy my door being caught by the wind and ending up somewhere it shouldn't.

Looking at the parts and thinking about what I was going to do I've realised that my door cards have the hole for the manual winder but no hole for the electrical switch connection. looked on ebay at pictures of door cards and they all seem the same as mine. I presume a hole needs to be drilled in the door card at the point where the switches are. As the hole will be covered by the switch cover I would assume that a few mil here or there will not make a big difference. any idea how big the hole actually is to allow the connector through. As I can't fit them today I might as well check I have a drill bit big enough. Finally what material is used as the backing of the door card.

GLPoomobile

Don;t need to drill it, what you really need is a jigsaw or something to cut the hole. Basically it is more of a 'slit' about an inch long.

Just line your pocket up with the door card so you know where to cut it, and then butcher away!

Ryan

There isn't an obvious hole, but if you feel around the area with your fingers there is a slit in the carpet covering the doorcard, and hole in the wooden backing behind it. Just use a pair of scissors to trim back the carpet around the hole so that there is enough space to push the wiring through.

MiD

Thanks very much for that, looked on completed items on ebay and found a picture of electric window door card and what your both saying matches as I cannot see a hole at all.

Guest rick03054

I used manual winder door cards and I have electric windows, the slit was already there. And I just popped the winder blanking disc thing out of the old cards and used it in the new ones.

Guest BrainFluid

Drive out to the coutry and do the work in the car park of a suitable pub on a nice day :D

Banjo

Go to your local multi story, my local ones really well lit :D

Sign in to follow this