• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fangoria

Engine Change

Guest Fangoria

i've got a 205 gti 1.9 thats a road rally car, needed a engine a bit quick for a rally i'm doing in february so i bought a grasstrack 205 gti 1.9 to break, looks like the engine is out of a citroen though cos the head is different and so is the inlet manifold, everything else looks the same though, anyone any ideas what citroen this is out of? it run fine in the grasstrack car, just wondering if its the same spec as my original 205 1.9 engine 130bhp etc

welshpug

not without a picture, but Citroens that had this engine were the BX GTi and ZX Volcane, no others as far as I can remember.

might be a little different head wise, i.e may be like the 405 SRI engine that has more torque.

pug_ham

ZX Volcane has the same engine as the 1.9 GTi just with a plastic inlet manifold but the BX GTi has a 123bhp 1.9 engine (same as 405 SRi) that has a different inlet manifold & head.

Have a look for the engine code on a small black & silver plate by the right hand upper engine mount, there should be a three digit code on there which will make it possible to tell exactly what engine it is.

Graham.

Powers

Where are you based in Gwent as i might be able to come and have a look!

Guest Fangoria

so is it possible to just bolt on the head off my 1.9 onto the citroen engine and use my original inlet manifold etc? or isn't there any point in doing that? if its a bx engine and only 123bhp is the 7bhp lost in the head? if yes would it be back up to 130bhp with my original 1.9 head on it?

welshpug

they weren't 130bhp, they were 128bhp ;) they have more torque, which for a rally car I guess you would want.

Guest Fangoria

ok just checked in a motor factors and the head gasket is the same for a citroen bx and pug 1.9 gti so i'm assuming the 1.9 head will go straight on the bx bottom end

Guest Fangoria

another thing, the citroen engine hasn't got the 10mm alloy spacer between the block and sump, maybe it isn't a 1.9?

welshpug

if its from a BX gti it will be a 1905cc lump, not all 1905 engines had the spacer.

pug_ham

Your Pug head will fit straight onto the BX bottom end but the pistons are different (flat top instead of pocketed) so it might not run very well as the compression could be to high & there might be contact issues between the valves & pistons. The 7bhp is lost by the different compression ratio & cam.

The BX engine has slightly more torque than the 1.9 GTi engine but peak power is at 5500rpm instead of 6k & doesn't rev much past that, certainly becomes breathless worse than a 1.9 GTi engine.

The BX & 405 didn't have the spacer but has a deeper sump instead.

Graham.

Guest Fangoria

so there could be a issue of the pistons hitting the valves by using my pug head then?

its only running a standard camshaft though so how much higher would the compression go even if there is enough clearance? is it worth trying or just keep the engine as it is til i get my other engine rebuilt?

the citroen air flow meter and air filter etc wants to go up over the engine where my battery and power steering bottle is thats why i wanted to change the head back to a pug so i can use my standard inlet manifold etc

pug_ham
so there could be a issue of the pistons hitting the valves by using my pug head then?

Yes, there is a possibility.

its only running a standard camshaft though so how much higher would the compression go even if there is enough clearance? is it worth trying or just keep the engine as it is til i get my other engine rebuilt?

Its not the camshaft that changes the compression ration but the pistons & head chamber size, how much I don't know but tbh if the engine is only a temporary fit I'd leave it as it is to save the possibility of a headbolt snapping in the block when you try to remove the head from the Citroen engine.

the citroen air flow meter and air filter etc wants to go up over the engine where my battery and power steering bottle is thats why i wanted to change the head back to a pug so i can use my standard inlet manifold etc

Either make an induction shortener to suit from the Citroen hose & relocate the PAS reservior to the side of the battery or find a custom hose for between the AFM to the TB as the TB size & inlet shape is different to the 205 one to keep it as it is. An easy hose would be one from a 309 GTi 16v but they are like rocking horse poo, especially in the UK as the car wasn't sold here but Peugeot might be able to get one for a silly price.

Graham.

whizzer71

The BX Gti and 405 Sri also used a different injection system where the Ecu was in the top of the AFM ,Not sure if you could plumb it up with the 205 injection ? :P

:)

Guest Fangoria

ok thanks for all your help, the engine in as it is for now cos it'll probably only be in for about 3 events max so i'll have to move the power steering bottle and make it all fit somehow!! haven't got it running yet though and i'm flying to Austria tomorrow night to go snowboarding for a week so i'll let you know how it all goes with the engine when i get back next weekend

pug_ham
The BX Gti and 405 Sri also used a different injection system where the Ecu was in the top of the AFM ,Not sure if you could plumb it up with the 205 injection ? :D

Not all 405's used this, I got my MP3.1 system from a 405 which had the same engine as you are talking about here.

Using the 205 AFM & ecu would be OK though anyway.

Graham.

Grim.Badger
An easy hose would be one from a 309 GTi 16v but they are like rocking horse poo, especially in the UK as the car wasn't sold here but Peugeot might be able to get one for a silly price.

£28.69 inc. VAT so not too bad :rolleyes: Genuine inlet piping is surprisingly cheap for Peugeot.

Guest Fangoria

had the car on the rollers last saturday and it made 133.5bhp @ the flywheel and 138lbs/ft torque which i was pleased with and it went well in the lanes til a wire broke off on the alternator, not going to rush to take this citroen engine out now

Sign in to follow this