• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

My Car Has No Sad

Guest BrainFluid

As said, on close inspection my car (1.6 gti) has no blooming SAD. After looking at a pic of one on the site that shall not be mentioned...where do the two coolant hoses that attach to the sad go to, I cant see a break in any around there so will need to trace back the way. Also I'm presuming that the electrical connector on the sad is the coolant temp sensor yes?

welshpug

I guess you have a late 92 on car then? or at least a late 92 on engine

pug_ham

No coolant hoses attach to the SAD, just two air pipes. One from the bottom of the inlet manifold & one to the pipe between the AFM & TB.

Even the Motronic cars have a SAD.

The later models don't have the coolant temp sensor housing fastened to the thermostat housing which is what you might be missing.

Graham.

Guest BrainFluid

Oh. Do they not all have a sad then? my car is '91 but its defo not the original engine so who knows :D ...

There is this one air pipe that comes off the TB , past the butterfly. The pipe is about 6 inch long with a bolt blanking off the end....

welshpug

the SAD pipes come off the middle of the Intake manifold chamber and the K&N adapter.

Guest BrainFluid

Hey graham :D . didnt notice your post there I was going on this pic...

post-7792-1169075663.jpg

Is that wrong? do you mean this one...

post-7792-1169075694.jpg

I cant find either! :(

Guest BrainFluid

A-ha I see what you mean, that sad in the second pic is attached to the thermo housing in the first pic. I think I'll have a much closer look tommorrow as I fit the inlet manifold back on!

welshpug

so you have no warmup idle control?

Guest BrainFluid

Oh dear. Confusion is decending very quickly now guys.... I will have to wait untill I'm in the garage as I'm all clean now.

Maybe if you could tell me exactly where each of those photo item are on a 1.6 before and after 92 I can get back to you with some proper questions and answers.

So far I have not seen anything that resembles either of the two pics items.

(The car is a bad cold starter. This is , after all, why I've striped the front stuff off to clean and check as to why!)

welshpug

aaah, ok. If its not chuckign down in the morning i'll take some pictures of my engine bay fot you.

Guest BrainFluid

That would be great, thanks for the offer welshy :D

EDIT: Cosidering that I've got the whole intake system off I would have thought I would have spotted it by now...doh...Looking forward to them pics mate.

Edited by BrainFluid

pug_ham

Nate, your car is a 1991 so it is very possible it won't have this;

post-7792-1169075663.jpg

Why do you say its not the original engine?

But it should have an SAD (second picture), on the later cars the pipe runs directly from the side of the thermostat housing to the bulkhead for the heater matrix & the SAD should be bolted sideways onto the thermostat housing underneath the dizzy.

3822thermo_housings.jpg

On the plate in the above picture for the middle thermostat housing. The picture above you posted goes to the two bolts after the pipe on item 1.

The pipe from the SAD doesn't go the the TB but to the pipe running between the AFM & TB. If you've taken the intake piopes off, was there a pipe from the hose mentioned to the oil filler cap & another from the larger hole? That one should go to the SAD.

Graham.

Guest BrainFluid

Thanks Graham, your a star you are! :D

I know that the previous owner had the engine replaced. I'm pretty confident that I know what your saying. I can recall the pipe that comes off the hose that joins the AFM and the TB so I'll trace that back then.

I'll be honest this is the first ECU car that I've ever owned. Its all so new but I'm getting my head around it all.

Most of all, thank you for your patience!

futura

Bonus, another pic for you :D

41c1e95e495d4.jpg

Guest BrainFluid

Forgot to add. Thanks very much for your pic to Futura!

I'm well jealous of your shiny shiny engine you got there mate!

Rob_the_Sparky

Futura's piccy is of an early style engine (like mine).

Guest BrainFluid

No worries. All found and cleaned up now ;)