• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Enfield

Battery Light & Fan

Enfield

Hi there,

Just got my hands on a 205 Rallye UK version.

When I put the fan on the battery light comes on and soon as it turn it off the light goes out. Well I think it just dims down a lot more.

Could there be a short or something or is this a common problem with an easy fix (please be that)?

Thanks.

Anthony

How brightly does the light come on with the fan? It's fairly common for the light to come on dimly with the fan on full speed, even though the alternator is charging just fine.

If it's coming on brightly though then you need to investigate further, and atleast check the voltage coming out of the alternator with the fan on and off

Paintguy

As Anthony says, a lot of people (including myself) have noticed that their battery lights glow dimly when the fan is on.

Rob_the_Sparky

Even with the engine at decent (not tick-over) revs? Tis odd that this should happen...

Jer309GTi

My XS does this too, the light is dim but you can definately see it is on

MikeHunt79

Mine does it aswell.... probably some resistance in a cable and probably nothing to worry about. Also, see if it gets brighter when using the indicators, mine does, and my batt, alternator and loom are good.

Edited by MikeHunt79

hman205

mine did this but now the fan is dead the problem has gone away

Rob_the_Sparky

At tick-over the alternator is producing bugger all power. Try to draw more power than alternator is producing and the light will glow. However, this should ONLY happen at tick-over (if at all).

Rob

Guest jezziebx16v

Its not only Pugs that do this, my Bx16v has this problem aswell, just fitted a new alternator and it still does it. Annoying but not much to worry about i dont think.

Jez

Enfield

It's not bright but it's not dim either.

It's noticeable when you turn the fan on though...I wasn't looking for it or anything.

The car is fitted with a heavy duty battery, could it be linked to this? Actually, this might not matter depending on whether the light comes on if the car is stationary - not entirely sure if it does...

Does anyone else have a rallye or something with a similar dash? Do you find the dash lights quite dim?

I've checked for a rheostat (think it's called that) to adjust the brightness of the dash but it doesn't have one. A bit over the top on the weight saving side of things don't you think lol.

Edited by Enfield

KRISKARRERA
Its not only Pugs that do this, my Bx16v has this problem aswell, just fitted a new alternator and it still does it. Annoying but not much to worry about i dont think.

Jez

And my 405 Mi16 has always done this, even with a new alternator.

Let's say I put the interior light on and then switch the indicators on. You can actually see the interior light dim as the indicators flash on and off! So then I dialled in 4000rpm and it still does the same. :D

Enfield
And my 405 Mi16 has always done this, even with a new alternator.

Let's say I put the interior light on and then switch the indicators on. You can actually see the interior light dim as the indicators flash on and off! So then I dialled in 4000rpm and it still does the same. B)

I think you've got a bad earth there somewhere mate. Go round the earting points with some contact cleaner. :huh:

KRISKARRERA

Yeah you could be right.

There's the earth wire that goes from gearbox to somewhere under the battery tray, maybe I'll have to get the battery tray out because I've cleaned the other end.

Sign in to follow this