• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiD

Crossover Problem

MiD

A previous owner of my car fitted an audio system which consists of the following.

Panasonic head unit

Kenwood Amp

Kenwood speakers where the oe speakers were in the door

Speakers in the rear parcel shelf

Tweeters where the mirror adjusters are on the door.

Since I bought the car none of the front speakers would work and as I knew nothing about how to set the car system up I worked through trial and error. Flipped a few of the wee switches on the amp making no difference, took the head unit out and all seemed as it should be, not that I would be able to tell otherwise but it made me feel as if I was doing something.

On Sunday I took the speakers out of the front door and found what is I believe to be the crossover in the front door, (correct me if my terminology is wrong). The connectors were corroded and cleaning them produced sound from all the speakers apart from the front right tweeter. When that is connected I lose all the sound from the front again. At the moment I have the left tweeter connected and the right one disconnected.

As I have a better system since cleaning the contacts is it possible that damp has corroded inside the crossover causing some sort of short when I connect the tweeter? any advice how to proceed would be appreciated.

Paintguy
As I have a better system since cleaning the contacts is it possible that damp has corroded inside the crossover causing some sort of short when I connect the tweeter? any advice how to proceed would be appreciated.

It sounds very likely. Inside a car door is not an ideal environment for a crossover, with all that water splashing about. It sounds as though there is some kind of short inside the unit, which is causing the amp to trip out, or go into protection mode when the right tweet is connected.

I'd try the rogue xo on the other side of the car, and see if the same problem occurs. If so, then you know it must be that unit that is at fault.

You could possibly get it repaired, but it may be easier/cheaper to keep your eye out for a pair of replacement crossovers.

MiD

Thanks for that PaintGuy, believe it or not I didn't even know what a crossover was until a few days ago. Intend to retro fit electric windows in the next few days and will change over the units to see what happens. Mights as attempt to sort everything out at the same time.

DrSarty

Paintguy - again - is dead on right. I strongly suspect, that as amp protection these days is pretty good, the amp's fine and you'll need to throw the xover(s). Try keeping the working one as is first and try this......

You can't buy a passive crossover on its own, but I have a couple of spares and you're welcome to them for nothing; collect or just cover postage of maybe £1.50.

With respect, as it doesn't sound like you're a competing sound system person, you just won't notice any difference by using one of my xovers instead of the original (now corroded) one you mentioned. However just putting it into the door without any protection will just yield the same problem soon enough.

I would recommend not touching anything else, until you've tried just this one for one swap. In fact a local car hi-fi shop may have a bucket of bits and have a spare xover. Further to that, you could just take the single wire pair for that side which used to go the xover, connect it straight to the woofer, and then take a pair off the woofer terminals to the tweeter using just a tweeter xover (read: protector/capacitor), which I have too and would be even cheaper to send. They're small and won't run the same risk of corrosion.

Whatever you put in the door, get a food bag, place the wired up component in it and tape it up to produce a dry enviro for the xover.

MiD

Dr Sarty

Yip you are right a 49 year old soon to be 50 would look rather silly trying to compete with young blades in relation to sound sytems, though my Burning Spear dub reggae CD did sound rather good today !!

Followed most of what you said until the bit about the wiring then whoosh over my head.

thanks for the offer of parts but on ebay there isa pair of Kenwood crossovers which look identical to the ones I've got. the sale doesn't end for a few days so plenty of time to check. the picture the fella has put up shows the perspex top of one which may indcate that they can be dismantled then put back together. so may follow PaintGuys advice swap them over to see hwat happens on the other side. Then if the problem is just the unit see if I can take it apart to repair it.

May also bid on the ebay ones , will not hurt to have a spare.

Thanks for your help, this is an completely new area to me. Mind you most things are.

DrSarty

Ref 'whoosh', yep, had no idea of the age thingy. Thought you were 21 like me....yeah I wish :)

Very difficult to explain wiring connections, but it seems you don't need to know anyway. However if you get stuck or need bits or help feel free to PM me.

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this