• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trogboy

Exhaust Gasket Recomendations?

trogboy

I know this has been covered before but I can't seem to find the posts relating to it.

I have real difficulty getting the OE gaskets to seal properly between the manifold and the head. The single crappy bits of steel gasket with a little swage circle just never seem to work for me.

What do you other TU people use to get round this?

Cheers,

Ad

macaroni

I use the standard manifold gaskets and they always seal for me.

Stupid question to a man of your integrity, but do you tighten the manifold stud nuts in a "square" pattern so it seals against the head evenly?

Is your manifold warped? If so, that won't be a problem in a week or so...

swordfish210

yep the standard ones have allways worked for me, if you want you could lightly smear the gaskets with some exhaust sealant

trogboy

Ok, now I look like a pleb! lol

Both the mating faces are super clean and seem very flat as far as I can check with a straight edge and a set of feeler blades.

When I torgue up the bolts I usually do it in two stages and start from the middle working concentrically outwards similar to doing the headbolts so I'm not sure that is the fault.

One thing I had considered was getting two sets of the standard gaskets then putting a thin smear of exhaust paste between them i.e. making a compound gasket sandwich with the steel gaskets as the bread and exhaust paste as the filling. Once gone off overnight I would then use them as standard.

I'm sure when I first started messing around with my 205s the exhaust gaskets were different to how they are now with an asbestos based cement between two thin layers of steel sheet.

swordfish210

well theres nothing wrong with the way that you're torquing them up and if both of the suffaces are clean and flat then i cant really see why you're having this problem. The two gaskets idea seems a bit overly complicated. Just get some exhaust sealant and apply a thin even layer over all of it and before it dries bolt the manifold back on. I never had to do this as mine sealed perfect first time.

macaroni

Don't go too mad as you'll be getting your 4-2-1 soon...

swordfish210
Don't go too mad as you'll be getting your 4-2-1 soon...

Yeah i cant wait for mine. What was the delivery ETA again...i forgot :)

trogboy

I'd imagine they will be with us by early next week if Anthony gets them tomorrow and posts them out by the end of play on Friday. I am getting excited now!

Jrod

I was really looking forward to getting the manifold on and seeing if it made any difference but I think that's going to have to wait.

My clutch is nearly gone and I don't want to replace it until I get my group N mounts. Then I may aswell wait to fit it until I get my hand on sam's old shell! :D

christopher
I was really looking forward to getting the manifold on and seeing if it made any difference but I think that's going to have to wait.

My clutch is nearly gone and I don't want to replace it until I get my group N mounts. Then I may aswell wait to fit it until I get my hand on sam's old shell! ;)

My metal ones leak too. I'm planning on going back to standard TU ones next time

trogboy

Standard TU ones Chris? I picked up a set of the crappy metal ones from a peugeot main dealer after the pattern ones I had didn't do a great job.

christopher
Standard TU ones Chris? I picked up a set of the crappy metal ones from a peugeot main dealer after the pattern ones I had didn't do a great job.

Yes standard ones. I got metal ones and a bendy one in the peugeot rebuild kit. Not sure what is standard where.

trogboy

So you either use one or the other then I take it? Perhaps they can no longer supply the 'bendy' ones in the UK. Any idea what they are made of?

Sign in to follow this