• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hodgy

Bike Carbs 1.9gti

hodgy

ive fitted bike carbs to my car and it runs soooo much better than it did on injection! no more kangeerooing BETTER on fuel and the things aint even set up right for my car! only problem ive got is the accelerator pedal is ROCK solid now and you have to stamp on it. if any one knows of a way to make it a bit lighter it be nice.

Power. ive got a re built engine,slight piper cam(cant remember which), 4 branch, full group A system, R1 carbs with the lil trumpet things. i think it will be 140bhp after its set up

if im gussing too high please say or if some one else has done the same mods what was your power?

here is a lil link of it

http://www.leedscruize.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4596

M_R_205

i think the reason the pedal is so heavy is that your now trying to turn all four butterflys as aposed to the one you had on injection,

i also have r1 carbs im about to fit to an mi16, can i ask where you fitted all the hoses too, iv bin told that the copper conector at the bottom is fuel, but im not sure what to do with the copper ones t the top, or the 2 plastic t pieces at the front and the big plastic one at the top :S

matt205xs

thats a picture of mine...

s1030049sg9ii2kg0.th.jpg

M_R_205
thats a picture of mine...

s1030049sg9ii2kg0.th.jpg

cheers a real help, looks sweet too, i cant wait to get mine on the road!!

Hang on, do i see a metal v brake pipe on the throttle cable!!

Edited by M_R_205

Rippthrough

Shouldn't be heavy as it's designed to be used by hand :(

matt205xs
cheers a real help, looks sweet too, i cant wait to get mine on the road!!

Hang on, do i see a metal v brake pipe on the throttle cable!!

correct!

mine isnt heavy at all i just havnt got as much travel on the pedal as i used to, which way are you routing the cable thru the linkage, ill try getting a diagram up,

M_R_205
correct!

mine isnt heavy at all i just havnt got as much travel on the pedal as i used to, which way are you routing the cable thru the linkage, ill try getting a diagram up,

personly iv drilled a small alloy block so it fits nicly where your v boot is and il just use the original, as of the choke, its going to an xs so il use the orig choke cable :( very easy

btw, inside the carb there is a plastic sliding bit, what is it?? im assuming its part of the choke?

Richie-Van-GTi

the biut that slides up and down? Its the venturi, it controls the needle height for fuel flow. It lifts under vacuum.

hodgy

i used some brake pipe cut it n bent it but then my cable snapped 3mile down the road at the pedal lol so i when i got another cable i used all the bits to get the nice bend in the cable. the 1st cable was nice on the pedal but this one is really stiff and hard to drive fast round bends but i do like the speed and noise it makes now

M_R_205
the biut that slides up and down? Its the venturi, it controls the needle height for fuel flow. It lifts under vacuum.

damn you know alot about carbs, or i know nothing......

matt205xs

rite heres a cross section of how i did my throttle cable...

carbmi6.th.png

Richie-Van-GTi

dont you find the pedal travel too short? Im making a simple twin cable system so I get full pedal travel which will also lighten things under foot and should make things a little easier to adjust with regards to cable lengths etc.

couple of pics of mine at the moment

carb.jpg

carb1.jpg

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

matt205xs

no, its not that noticeable, i was expecting it to be alot worse, but it feels no different to my old one,

matt205xs

just looking at your pics, how have you mounted your catch can?

Richie-Van-GTi

I bolted a large L shaped bracket where the battery used to bolt down the just cable tied it onto the bracket. Ive put the battery in the boot. Also mounted a pair of 120db horns where the battery was.

Idea is the catch tank overhangs the tray so I can easily drain it off using the bottom bleed point without having to remove it.

matt205xs

yeh thats the same can as mine

Richie-Van-GTi

how have you plumbed yours? Have you put a filter on one point and a pipe on the other ?

matt205xs

i havnt fitted mine yet, but when i do find somewere to put it ill run the pipe in from the oil fillar cap (as i only have 1 outlet on the cap) then as you say a filter on the other.

i may just fit a breather to the oil cap tho not sure yet,

davev

on the throttle cable front. after i changed my 2nd cable(bloody things rubbing on pedle) i decide to change everything that comes in the kit. and noticed that after the pedle was alot softer. think i found that this was caused by the bump stop spring thingy(the little plastic thing coming out the bulk head) mine was rock solid and the new one is quite free.

might be worth checking. dave.

matt205xs

forgot to mention i put a spring tensioner on mine which made alot of differece :blink:

hodgy

wish my manifold look as good as all your do lol as mine is home made. my carbs have some lil trumpet things like you have on TB's but not as long. hopefully i can get it into boggs to get them set up and rolling roaded so i can see what power i have now

gtimon

Hi, I've got a chance of getting a set of R1 carbs. But I can't anyone who makes/supplies a manifold for these, fitting to a 1.9 8v.

Anyone know of any links for prices.

Faz85

Try Bogg Bros. for manifolds for R1 carbs. Cant be bothered to find the link myself, but do a search its certainly been covered before.

Faz

EDIT: a brief moment of generosity...http://www.boggbros.co.uk/index.html

also try Shenpar...http://www.shenpar.com/

Edited by Faz85

Sign in to follow this