• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Stealth Headunit

GLPoomobile

Just wondered if anyone else on here has ever installed a head unit in the poxy shelf like thing below the ECU?

I'm having a bash at this now, having not had a CD player for over a year and being too paranoid to fit one in case the car gets broken in to again!

Width wise the aperture is nigh on bloody perfect :ph34r:

When it is fitted I'll be putting a little flap of black fabric (left over acoustic cloth) over the hole. Tucked back when player in use, hanging over when the car is left. Sounds a bit ghetto, but it should be sufficient to mask the player if someone peers through the window at night (I'll have an empty DIN slot where the player should be which should throw any pikeys off the sent too).

Banjo

Why not just pop the face of and take it with you?

Ryan

Becuase pikeys will still break into a car and steal a faceless head unit. The number of stereos with missing faceplates in the local Cash Converters is astonishing!

jim205GTI

Good idea that...... as it is just a case of extending the wires to that point in the car....... an old mate thought about doing this in his mk5 fiesta as it had been broken into twice just having it down in the driver door pocket :ph34r:

GLPoomobile
Why not just pop the face of and take it with you?

See Ryan's eloquently put reply :ph34r:

I take my steering wheel off the car and leave the glovebox open and leave nothing on display. Obviously I'll take the face off the stereo (even when it is hidden) but in the standard location that is not enough. So many people leave their stereo face in the car that Pikeys will still break in on the off chance that they'll find it. If they see nothing of value they won't bother (hopefully).

In two years of being in london, I had my old 205 broken in to twice. One time there was nothing of value in the car but the stereo was there with the face off. I think they just left it when the realised the face wasn't in the car.

In the year I've had this 205, I have not yet been broken into (touch wood) and I think that is probably due to the fact that I have an empty space where the head unit should be, wires hanging out, and no speakers on view.

Paintguy

Another option to consider - make up a dummy cover for your head unit from a cheapo push button cassette player.

When you leave the car, take off the 'real' face and clip the dummy one into place. I did this after a few break ins, and it worked a treat. If anyone looked through the window, they saw what appeared to be something not worth nicking :blush:

GLPoomobile
Another option to consider - make up a dummy cover for your head unit from a cheapo push button cassette player.

When you leave the car, take off the 'real' face and clip the dummy one into place. I did this after a few break ins, and it worked a treat. If anyone looked through the window, they saw what appeared to be something not worth nicking :P

Yeah that's a good one! Was going to do that on my Civic when I took the old Honda tape player out. Got as far as removing the front of it but never took it any further :)

Making progress with this little project. Got a Clarke glue gun yesterday, ordered a new ISO loom and MP3 Line-In connector from Car Audio Direct and just need to order some cabling from Vehicle Wiring Products today so that I can extend the loom. I'm half way through putting the actual trim together to hold the cage, just need to mock fit it in the car tonight to make sure everything clears OK.

Should be finished at the weekend and then I'll post pictures of how I put it all together. I will point out that this is a rushed project as I'm only fitting it now so I have some tunes for the drive up to Edinburgh the weekend after next, so I'm just concentrating on getting it to work rather than making it look really tidy etc.

Edited by GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile

Ran into a slight snag last night!

Took the shelf out for a test fit last night, but because I hadn't taken any measurements before (it was a spur of the moment project that I just ambled into) I unfortunately found that the head unit was too far back and so the throttle peddle linkage was hitting it, so would only have had about an inch of travel on the pedal!

So I spent last night modifying the shelf so the head unit sits further forward, which I didnt really want to do as it was more stealthy when it sat further back. Hopefully when I take it out again tonight I'll find it fits OK this time, as it is more or less complete now.

Not looking too pretty, but if it works then I'll be happy.

GLPoomobile

Just reading through my old topics and thought I better update this one.

Well basically I got everything working and had it fitted in my old Cherry Red Shed up until I sold the car. Didn't have any clearance issue with the throttle pedal in the end.

I was never 100% happy with it though (a bit shonkily put together, so don't laugh at the pics), and towards the end the trim was creaking quite a lot due to the weight of the headunit, but then I didn't have the big bolt through the side of the trim in to the B pillar that holds it in tight. Anyway, I consider this one a prototype, and eventually this year (once I've got my car back on the road and dealt with other priorities) I'll have a crack at doing a better version, and see if I can support it better so the trim doesn't creak.

Pictures of the build process are in my photobucket account here which should give an idea of how it went together. Feel free to ask questions if you want to know any more.

DrSarty

Why are your adventures...nay misery, making me laugh so much? ;)

:D

GLPoomobile

I don't get you? :D

DrSarty
I don't get you? :D

Well you (and me ;) ) have been quite active posting recently, and all I've read about is your woes. The 'can of petrol' thread and then this one is just making me chortle that's all.

Choice GLPoo examples:

I'm having a bash at this now, having not had a CD player for over a year and being too paranoid to fit one in case the car gets broken in to again!

Ran into a slight snag last night!

Took the shelf out for a test fit last night, but because I hadn't taken any measurements before (it was a spur of the moment project that I just ambled into) I unfortunately found that the head unit was too far back and so the throttle peddle linkage was hitting it, so would only have had about an inch of travel on the pedal!

Not looking too pretty, but if it works then I'll be happy.

I was never 100% happy with it though (a bit shonkily put together, so don't laugh at the pics), and towards the end the trim was creaking quite a lot due to the weight of the headunit, but then I didn't have the big bolt through the side of the trim in to the B pillar that holds it in tight. Anyway, I consider this one a prototype, and eventually this year (once I've got my car back on the road and dealt with other priorities) I'll have a crack at doing a better version, and see if I can support it better so the trim doesn't creak.

It's only like laughing when someone trips up. Nowt personal; it just tickles me and you're a sound geyser who really could do without the hassle. But when you have hassle, don't we know about it! B)

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

I don't think I have been that active recently to be honest. In fact I'd say I was going through somewhat of a dry spell where my rants/whinges is concerned ;)

I only resurrected the other topic cos I thought CN might delete it, and it was always my intention to update it once I've sorted the problems out. Bring it to a final conclusion.

And this wasn't supposed to be a negative topic either :D

Glad I amused you old boy B) Now go and crack on with that project of yours :wub:

DrSarty
Now go and crack on with that project of yours ;)

Sir yes Sir! I edited the above to include some of what is bringing tears to my eyes. No you're right it's not negative, but it's riddled with 'woes'.

I am now staring at a new MS loom - and it is staring back saying "well come on then you prick, do something!!!" :D

GLPoomobile

I've updated my signature especially for you :D

m5nut

LOL at your sig GLP.

I almost got to the point of having a dummy faceplate for my 106, but I sold it. What was the original headunit for a GTI? Might try and source one. Already had amps nicked (but they left the headunit strangely) so don't want it happening again.

Peetypug

:rolleyes:

i'm not laughing at your woe's

is that your civic? :)

there's nothing wrong with being a pessimist.....

GLPoomobile
is that your civic? :)

In my album? Yes, that is the GLPoomobile. I drove it over that ledge whilst slowly driving through a housing estate looking for some guys house. The sun was low in the sky in front of me and with the two different levels of light coloured concrete stretching out in front you couldn't see that it was two levels. Only realised at the last second, but too late :rolleyes: I actually found the whole situation pretty funny once I got over the shock. Had half the housing estate and a bunch of passing bin men come over and help lift it back on to all 4 wheels, and then I drove it back from Reading to London with a crushed exhaust, dodgy gear shift and a bent floor :(

The funny thing about it was, I was there to look at a 205 that was for sale, and I was going to sell the Civic. Crashing the Poomobile pretty much sealed the deal to buy the 205 before I'd even seen it :P

Still, I got £400 paid out by the landowner for the Civic and got it crushed. That's more than I'd have made if I'd sold it! And I sold various parts off it and made a bit more.

DrSarty
Had half the housing estate and a bunch of passing bin men come over and help lift it back on to all 4 wheels, and then I drove it back from Reading to London with a crushed exhaust, dodgy gear shift and a bent floor

Brilliant Steve. This is GLPoo'ism'ness. Awesome. Only a sherry drinker would do this too. :rolleyes:

Simes

just back to the radio for a minute,

did you have a remote for the unit or did you just hit your head on the steering wheel each time you needed to change the volume etc?! :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile

Remote? Don't be such a pussy :rolleyes: You want stuff like that, go and drive a Audi or something!

But seriously, yes the headunit I was using had a remote, and I did use it occasionally. But I find remotes irritating. It was easy enough to reach down and use the headunit directly, the same as if it was in the stock location. In fact it's closer in the stealth location. And you won't hit your head on the wheel unless you are both a midget and completely retarded.

Paintguy

I'm glad this topic popped back up, as I've just bought myself an Alpine H700 processor and need to find room for the DIN sized controller unit. I was considering ripping out the centre heater vents, but that pocket might be just the ideal place now that I know it'll fit :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this