• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
futura

Oil Pressure Sensor

futura

Since my previous oil pressure sensor had packed up, I fitted a spare one and now my pressure reads 7 bars as soon as I turn the ignition key, even without the engine running.

I wondered if there's anyway to fix it, or is it good for the bin?

Ryan

Is it defininitely plugged into the right place? If you mix up the gauge sensor and the switch for the low pressure light then the guage shoots upto the top as soon as you turn the key.

futura

mmh, I may have inverted two plugs yeah. Would the red light not come on if I had inverted it with the other oil sensor?

EDIT: I just checked and the oil red light comes on when I turn the ignition key, and switches off when the engine has started, so I presume the plugs are not inverted

Edited by futura

davev

are you sure its a fully working pressure sender that you used? possible be another dud or maybe even a pressure warning light.

futura

The spare is definitely not working properly, but I wondered if there was anything I could do to check/repair it?

davev

im affraid i cant help with checking or repairing the sendor. but for peace fo mine a new one is only about £10.

taylorspug

Either the new sensor is equally knackered, or the wire from the sensor to the dash has found an earth somewhere. With the ignition on, unplug the sesor, if the needle drops back to zero then the sensor is a dud, if it stays high then the wire has managed to earth itself out somewhere.

futura

Thanks Taylorspug, I'll try that :blush:

jim21070

Just to add, occasionally the gauge itself can cause this. I did one once that read properly zero with the lead hanging off the sender but went FSD as soon as it was connected to a known good sender. I proved it was the gauge by using a wirewound pot to simulate the sender (my addled brain forgets the value I used now as it was a longish time ago).

There is not a lot of hope of repairing the gauge itself but a good gauge from another instrument panel can be fitted to your own panel with care. This allows you to keep your own speedo and odometer readings intact.

C_W

Could it not be that it IS connected up wrong and that when the oil pressure gauge sender gets a certain pressure it can switch the light off?

futura

I haven't had time to check anything yet. I don't think it would be the gauge itself as it was working normally before the sensor packed up?

Sign in to follow this