• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Stop Light: Inhibits Starting?

lagonda

Unbelievably my CTi is actually back on the road! Going quite well too! That is until I got caught in traffic on the M23 because of an accident on the OTHER side. Bloody rubberneckers, there should be a law against them.

Anyway the car quickly overheated, mainly because slight corrosion on fan switch terminals stopped it operating. Pulled over as STOP warning light came on. Quickly got fan going, waited for it to stop, indicating temperature OK, but car wouldn't start, nothing from starter whatsoever. Fortunately we were facing downhill so bump started pretty easily.

Car / starter have been fine before & since. Battery is old but holds charge OK, starts no trouble from cold & charging system is fine.

So ... is there an inhibitor that precludes starting for a period after the STOP warning light has come on? If not, any ideas why it didn't start? Incidentally it stalled a little later & started immediately on the starter, as you'd expect.

Richie-Van-GTi

Check the terminals for corrosion, chances are as youve jiggled the fan wires you knocked the starter wire and its not got itself back into place.

lagonda
Check the terminals for corrosion, chances are as youve jiggled the fan wires you knocked the starter wire and its not got itself back into place.

No, it's not that. All starter terminals are OK, checked them whilst inlet manifold was off, also car has started fine since, furthermore I don't think solenoid wire would be affected by jiggling fan switch wires (on radiator).

Guest cknotty

It may very well be simply the starter motor getting too hot. My friends DTurbo was doing the same thing on an autotest last year. Leaving the bonnet open and letting it cool off during the breaks cured it. :P

Chris

Grim.Badger

Mine did this the same day as the last North meet, it was probably the hardest I'd driven the car since getting it and the starter refused to do anything until everything had cooled down. It would do the same when it was hot for a while, then it started doing it cold and I eventually had to change the starter :D Got a tiny 306 16v XSi starter now which is much easier to fit and only cost £20 from the scrappy :ph34r:

It could also be an earth connection expanding in the heat and breaking contact, or so I've been told.

Rob_the_Sparky

Common starter problem, they just don't seem to work as well when hot. I've had this issue even with a brand new starter, couple of minutes later with bonnet open and it started fine...

Rob

lagonda

Thanks guys.

It's stalled a couple of times since & has refused to acknowledge me again, so it's not a heat issue, just the usual 205 starter malaise! At least I know it'll start, that's the main thing! Odd that it starts happily every time from cold, especially this time of year, so perhaps there is a heat related issue with the earth or some other connection, as Grim Badger suggests.

Sign in to follow this