• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugnut

Moment Of Madness Gone Wrong? You Decide

Pugnut

Faced with a totally rusty disassembled rear beam the other day i just threw all the bits in the back of the car , off down to the local plastic coater . On the way down i was thinking how everything on my car is black and that black plastic coating always shows up imperfections . Well i was thinking a dark grey and thats what i told the geezer . Obviously he had different ideas! lol >>>>>>>>>>>

post-44-1168730286_thumb.jpg

I'm really not sure how it will look and i cant remember how much is visible when the car is sitting down on its wheels ? Otherwise he's done a great job.

cheers, Al

hengti

they look like 'battle ship bits'! :P

don't think much (if any) of it is visible once it's on the car though

M@tt

how much he charge you for that little lot?

also i presume the beam tube insides were protected? otherwise the bearings wont seat properly. but that stating the obvious

good job though :P

GLPoomobile

So what is the benefit to plastic coating compared to powder coating or painting?

Pugnut
how much he charge you for that little lot?

also i presume the beam tube insides were protected? otherwise the bearings wont seat properly. but that stating the obvious

good job though :P

£50 which i'm not sure is reasonable or not . It has been shotblasted and powder coated to a pretty good standard . If i was standing in my garage with dremmel and grinder in hand just starting to clean up that little lot and someone walked in and offered to do the whole lot for £50 i would bite thier hand off .

the company is PPS glassfibre in Inverurie Aberdeenshire .I picked the bits up less than 24hrs after dropping them off. The guy does loads of alloys, calipers and roll cages etc .

And yeh everything was well masked off . I just had a mare getting the maskings off and tidying up with a dremmel.

cheers, al

Pugnut
So what is the benefit to plastic coating compared to powder coating or painting?

sorry , this is powder coating . i assumed that plastic coating was just another term for powder coating?

Paintguy
sorry , this is powder coating . i assumed that plastic coating was just another term for powder coating?

As I understand it, it's the same method of application, just using a slightly different product.

scumbag

That looks really good. I guess getting things powder coated offers better protection than standard paint then?

bales

Powdercoating involves it being baked which is what makes it more durable.

scumbag

Hmm, So i could get my wheels powder coated then?

Rik

Yes but the finish can sometimes lead to imperfections, if the wheels are totally smooth then the finish should be as good as spraying with 2k.

Rik

gizzmo

new discovery geting lots of powder coating farbetter tha n electrial coating aslong as chemical pre treatment is done and then stoved make sure complete package and not just a dip inbox of powder then quick dry of with a hot air gun

Pugnut

the guy i used shot blasts, treats then has used a a white undercoat with the grey top coat . the finish is hard as nails and from what i can see doesnt chip off, and trying to remove the coating off parts that need to be bare and are only removable by a dremmel. Its useless trying a knife and emerypaper is reasonably slow work . He was busy doing some alloys when i went in . he was using emery paper on the base powder coat to get the wheels really smooth then he powder coats a top coat . An outstanding durable and finished wheel that isn't much more expensive than a painted wheel but sadly will still get eaten by kerbs!

cheers, Al

GLPoomobile
new discovery geting lots of powder coating farbetter tha n electrial coating aslong as chemical pre treatment is done and then stoved make sure complete package and not just a dip inbox of powder then quick dry of with a hot air gun

My brain hurts from trying to make sence of that 'sentance'! :P:o

Paintguy
My brain hurts from trying to make sence of that 'sentance'! :P:o

I was beginning to think it was just me! :(

gizzmo
I was beginning to think it was just me! :angry:

better explain my self, most vehicals afford corrosion protection with the use of ecoat but due to the envioment landrover discos are used in( minus the school run brigade}some chassis parts are now being powder coated it offers betterprotectionagainst corrosion and dosent chip. my point was that as far asi know they are the only people using this process at the moment, on chassis parts. if you are refreshing and have the opportunityto get powder coating done its far better than paint

Rippthrough
better explain my self, most vehicals afford corrosion protection with the use of ecoat but due to the envioment landrover discos are used in( minus the school run brigade}some chassis parts are now being powder coated it offers betterprotectionagainst corrosion and dosent chip. my point was that as far asi know they are the only people using this process at the moment, on chassis parts. if you are refreshing and have the opportunityto get powder coating done its far better than paint

I know loads of places that powder coat chassis?

Edited by Rippthrough

Paintguy

Not strictly chassis parts (depending upon how you define the term) - but Mercedes Benz and BMW have been powdercoating the bodywork of some of their models for years, mainly for environmental reasons :angry:

Edit for spelling....

Edited by Paintguy

Rippthrough
Not strictly chassis parts (depending upon how you define the term) - but Mercedes Benz and BMW have been powdercoating the bodywork of some of their models for years, mainly for environmental reasons :angry:

Edit for spelling....

Yeah, it's the new techniques it allows rather than the powder coat itself though.

Only problem there used to be was you couldn't get a good coat on internal bits, but that's been solved to an extent and I've seen 3 or 4 places that offer it, I've used two!

Paintguy
Yeah, it's the new techniques it allows rather than the powder coat itself though.

Only problem there used to be was you couldn't get a good coat on internal bits, but that's been solved to an extent and I've seen 3 or 4 places that offer it, I've used two!

Oh right, so there have been advances in the application technique. Makes more sense now :D

And I always loved the term "Faraday Penetration" - must be the schoolboy in me :angry:

Rippthrough
Oh right, so there have been advances in the application technique. Makes more sense now :D

And I always loved the term "Faraday Penetration" - must be the schoolboy in me :angry:

I think that's what he was trying to get at for the chassis, as there are plenty of powder coaters that can do outer but not inner, but like I said in know at least 4, and I imagine you'd know more than that being in the trade and all?

Paintguy
and I imagine you'd know more than that being in the trade and all?

Nah!

Us 'wet' boys don't mix with the 'dry' boys :angry:

Rippthrough
Nah!

Us 'wet' boys don't mix with the 'dry' boys :angry:

I just had an image of all the painters meeting the powder coaters under a bridge with baseball bats :D

Sign in to follow this