• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kenp

Won't Start - Was Running Fine

kenp

Hiya,

Bit stuck, my girlfriend's 1.9 GTI won't start, it was runnng fine and then not used for about a week Now it cranks over fine, but won't fire - very occasionally it feels as if it will but most of the time nothing.

I've checked for sparks and they seem healthy enough, disconnected the fuel pipe at the rail and there's plenty of fuel pressure. Now I'm at a loss, any ideas?

One thing, the plugs themselves don't seem wet with fuel which I thought they should be but they do get sooty each time I try to start it so I'm wondering if there's a fault in the injector control system somewhere.

Fuel injection isn't one of my strong points (more used to carbs) so apologies if this all sounds a bit lame!

Edited by kenp

smckeown

damp with the weather ? had similar problem with my golf recently; nothing some wd40 didnt resolve quickly

kenp
damp with the weather ? had similar problem with my golf recently; nothing some wd40 didnt resolve quickly

Well I thought that but I've cleaned/checked all the connectors I could see, all seemed bone dry and no corrosion. So dunno...

smckeown
Well I thought that but I've cleaned/checked all the connectors I could see, all seemed bone dry and no corrosion. So dunno...

no harm in applying wd40 inside and outside the dizzy etc ? As well as all the ignition lead connections. Mine looked bone try but that's exactly what my problem was. Starts on the button now and has done since

matt1900

could be massively over fueling, dodgy ecu temp sender or cold start valve??

Rippthrough

Sounds like its flooding, push the pedal to the floor and crank the engine to put it in flood clear mode, you might find you have to hold the idle on the starter for 5 seconds or so once it fires to get all the cylinders in.

Ahl

If you have no luck, try a search on the 'tachymetric' relay.

This controls the fuel pump and injectors and is a common fail. It could have failed on the injectors.

kenp

Thanks for all the replies guys!

After a night in a nice dry garage (usually lives on the drive), a new dizzy cap as a precaution (the old one was a bit corroded although i was still seeing a strong spark) and another overnight trickle charge she fired up this morning, ran a bit lumpy to start with and stalled a couple of times when I ran her around the block. Gave all the connectors a good spray of a super-WD40 type spray I use on the rally car and she now seems good as gold again,

So I reckon it was generally down to damp electrics and maybe the fact that the cold-start system is in need of an overhall (had a suspicion for a while that it overfuels initally).

Now she's back on the road again I'll pull the SAD etc out next w/e and check it over along with associated hoses and the ECU temp sensor.

I'll also bear in mind what was said about the Tachymetric relay as I've had probs with that (Sticking and leaving the pump on) on my green Pug.

Cheers

Ken

Sign in to follow this