• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davev

Ignition Advance

davev

hi, im planing on having a little play with my dizzy as i think the car is set up for normal unleaded. ive done a search and i basicly know what to do with the advance procedure.

the question is. will advancing the ignition mess up my fueling?

a bit more info to help answers:

its an mi16(standard internals) with bike carbs running 8 valve jetronic ignition system and obvisually a dizzy converter. i had it on the rollers and it made rather low power and the guy said its running very slightly lean and i should try advancing the ignition(after i told him that the car runns the same on unleaded and super)

so the main thing holding me back from giving it a go, is im unsure if ill make it leaner or even mess the hole set up up.

any help much appreciated. dave.

Faz85

Advancing the dizzy wont make the car run any leaner, it will simply cause the spark plugs to fire sooner. If the dizzy is too far retarded, like the guy at the rollers is suggesting, then by advancing it you should be able to unlock a bit more power, but you should be aware that over doing it will cause your engine to pink.

Faz

Edited by Faz85

Faz85

I should probably add dave...that if you mark the dizzy location before you do it, then you cant really mess anything up as returning it to its current position will restore the previous ignition timing.

davev

cheers. i get the point about pinking and the dizzy is already has a big grove where someone has marked it(must have been blind or something :P ).

just to confirm i have saw two slightly different ways to set the ignition. 1 was just warm up car and adjust till it starts pinking then back off a little, the other was almost the same but said to take it for a drive and put it under load. foot down at 30 in 5th for example.

Faz85

There is a by the book figure for the timing, but a lot of people prefer timing by ear. As you have found, try advancing it a few degrees, then go for a spin and put some load on the engine (flooring in 5th gear at 30 is a good idea) then listen for pinking (sounds a bit like a metal rattle, or try and imagine a bike chain being dragged along the concrete) if it does pink, back it off a bit and your sorted.

Faz

davev

cheers ill try it tomaz. was gonna today but seacrhing took its time :P

Sign in to follow this