• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Any 1.6 Abs Fitted Pugs Out There? Advice Needed

Rupertfinch

My money pit/pug came specced with factory abs (as noted on the original receipt) and of course I knew next to nothing about 205's before buying one - so imagine my surprise when I discovered what that glowing light in the dash board actually meant! But enough of my braking woes!

I find the back end is too slippery on wet roundabouts - enjoyable most of the time, but its inevitable that eventually I'm going to wipe someone out on the exit (this would not please me). As well as getting new boots on the rear I have also purchased original pug rear shocks 5206 L3 - thus enable me to get rid of the nasty knackered Spax that were cluttering up the rear.

Trouble is that I foolishly (or maybe not) purchased the 1.6 shocks - looking at stuart mcguires part catalogue it appears that I should have plumped for the 1.9 shocks as it seems logical that my car was fitted with a 1.9 rear beam to accommodate the discs and abs.

1. Does anyone else have this original factory set up on their 1.6 and any experience of changing the shocks?

2. Is there any difference between the 1.6 and 1.9 rear shocks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jackherer

1.6/1.9 shocks are the same (or as good as) so you will be fine.

My mates 205 had ABS, but its gone now, its running wilwood 4 pots on the front and now has a standard 1.6 compensator. The ABS rear compensators have been ditched and the ABS block is unplugged so the light never comes on and its never been spotted by an MOT tester.....

j_turnell

1.6 and 1.9 shocks are identical AFAIK so to that shouldnt be a problem. What tyres are you using, is the front at the standard ride height?

Rupertfinch
1.6 and 1.9 shocks are identical AFAIK so to that shouldnt be a problem. What tyres are you using, is the front at the standard ride height?

AFAIK the fronts are at the standard ride height - though a bit of poking and rubbing off grime while fitting a phase 2 bumper revealed that I have an adjustable Spax on the OSF and a 'Record Gas?! on the NSF. So after the rears are sorted it on to the fronts, Eurocarparts OE Bilsteins I reckon.

Rear tyres are bridgestone potenzas RE520 on standard 1.6 speedlines (a wheel I used to hate but now think is great).

ABS remains fitted, though my Pug dealer couldn't confirm if all was working, have had a relay put in but it only extinguishes the light on ignition. Didn't bother the last MOT tester (who are government employees here in Northern Ireland) he had a Dimma shell and a 405 Mi16 so was more interested in car chat than looking too hard.

Edited by Rupertfinch

Miles

As said the rear dampers are phisacally the same it's just the damping rates are slight different, The bottom bolt that hold the damper also holds the rear load adjusting compensating valve which do have a habbit of rusting solid so a squirt of WD40 and lot's of wiggling get's them working again most of the time,

I doubt any Pug dealer will know about the 205 ABS even the 405 ABS system bring's up blanks, Only thing to do is check the front wheel sesnor's are clean (2 channel system) but be careful as they would have rusted in the hub by now.

ABS Controller is in the boot (N/S) but if any thing goes wrong it's just as easy to remove it due or they crop up on ebay cheap from time to time

Sign in to follow this