• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Stuck Brake Parts!

pugbliss

hi

i have a 1.6gti and i was going to strip them down so i could clean things up and have a good look at how they are wearing....

but i carnt seam to get the slidding pin out,,, ive removed what was left of the locking pin but the slidders wont budge...

how can i get them free?????

cheers

joe

clifton
hi

i have a 1.6gti and i was going to strip them down so i could clean things up and have a good look at how they are wearing....

but i carnt seam to get the slidding pin out,,, ive removed what was left of the locking pin but the slidders wont budge...

how can i get them free?????

cheers

joe

if your on about the bit i think you are, mine were like this! i just got a flathead screwdriver on the end and hit it with a hammer until they budged, if its the right bit im thinking!

ben

pugbliss

do they slide both ways??? i mean does it slide in towards the engine or out toward me as im sat there???

did they need a good clout????

kate205gti

pic3yc9.jpg

punch and hammer works for me :unsure: (or a screwdriver)

tom_m

what she said :D ^^^

pugbliss

cheers kate.... my brakes look diffrent to yours but i get the idea.

tom_m

those are 1.9 rears :D

kate205gti

thats a pic of the back brakes on my 1.9 but they come out the same way on all of them :D

what he said ^^ :D:P

pugbliss

cheers

ill have a goo at them again real soon

Ben_M

I changed my pads the other week and the siding pins where also stuck, so all i did was wire brushed any rust away from the area, sprayed loads of WD40 ( using a straw ) on the sliding pin. Then I laft it for 30 mins or so, time enought for a quick brew ! Then came back more WD40 and started to hit the pin through witha hammer and a small Bar.. it did take abit of a good hit on one side and was a little burred. so once id got it out, I just filed off the Burrs, once i was totally done, afew cups of tea later ! I covered it in copper slip and put it all back together,

. Hopefully it will be a lot easier next time !

lagonda

Just spotted this, probably too late for you!

I had just this trouble with mine, really needed to belt them out with a hammer & punch. Once off, I straightened them out, filed all the rust away, both from the sliding key & its mating surface on the caliper, then reassembled everything with copper grease. I still had to hit them with a hammer to get them back in!

Thought, this can't be right! Got Haynes joke book out & for once photos were actually of what I wanted to see. It turned out someone had fitted the anti-rattle springs wrongly. Peculiar thing was, as they were, they didn't feel tight at all, but the effect was to lock everything pretty solid. So I'd recommend checking the springs are fitted exactly as shown in Haynes, also it might ease things anyway to unclip these springs before starting to remove the sliding key.

Sign in to follow this